Max-fossils

Hi all!

For the holidays, I am enjoying a nice relaxation at my grandparents house in Middelburg (NL). We were planning on hunting at Kaloot for sharkteeth and seashells, unfortunately the bad weather prevented it :(.

My grandma, being a sculptor (Hanneke Beaumont, if you're interested in sculpture you might know her), brought me to her atelier today for me to make something myself. I had already made a few things a few years back, so the material wasn't very new to me. 

1) an Euoplocephalus in its habitat

image.thumb.jpeg.82c40059c2d16c8fd5037d488ea922a6.jpeg

2) an Acrocanthosaurus resting its head on a tree (because its head is too heavy :P)

image.thumb.jpeg.1c7baaf7fd6650059ecae18d3cba2fe0.jpeg

Today, I wanted to make something new, so I decided, after a bit of brainstorming, to make a re-creation of what Lyme Regis (UK) looked like 200 million years ago, basing my idea on the fossils from the Blue Lias formation found there (ammonites, belemnites, coral, fish, marine reptiles, etc). I am using this picture for ideas on the background.

image.jpeg.51e2f6751d0534f50f3c08058ce601d9.jpeg

I am nowhere near finished, as for now I have only worked on it for one morning. I am planning on finishing it though as quickly as possible. This is what I have done till now: 

image.thumb.jpeg.5753f58238ce970cc453e11144c3703d.jpeg

Sorry for it being wet, but I had to make it wet so that it wouldn't dry up immediately. The big lumps are meant to represent rocks on the seafloor, and the tubes plus the othe thing are meant to be coral. In the middle lies an ammonite shell half-buried in the sand. 

Detail on the ammonite:image.thumb.jpeg.3f1cdeda50b1dc2fa4f5f28f0c081c0e.jpeg

Detail on the corals:

image.thumb.jpeg.69c1b1b7f89b44304d424ed8f28a2ad6.jpeg

I am going to add still a small Dapedium fish, a big ammonite and a big belemnite, then add a few more small details. I will return this afternoon and tomorrow morning, and will of course keep you updated of the progress!

I hope the end result will be good!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

41 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Looking good Max, can't wait to see the finished product!

7 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nice work Max!

Thanks both! 

The progress is great so far!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

After another afternoons worth of work, my piece became more lively. I added an ammonite and a belemnite; with the ammo I'm very satisfied, but I am a bit less with the belemnite. Overall I'm still glad of the work made. All I need to do is add a Dapedium and make some final touches, and we're good!

What it's looking like now:

image.jpeg

Max Derème

Detail on the ammonite:

image.thumb.jpeg.8008ad38de75b8201813fe6fa6050fd9.jpeg

Detail on the belemnite:

image.thumb.jpeg.0d08b2cd05e6e83bb19bc618613b0237.jpeg

Max Derème

And an extra closeup on the ammonite buried in the sand, which was previously a bit wet:

image.jpeg

Max Derème

7 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

That ammonite in the sand is amazing.

Thanks!!! A better closeup of it above ^

Max Derème

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Nice work on this sculpture :) 

Thanks for bringing us along as the process unfolds. :dinothumb::ammonite01:

Thanks! I thought it would indeed be nicer for you to see the progress live :)

41 minutes ago, Yvie said:

Very nice MAX,you obviously take after your Nan.I googled her work,its lovely.

Yvie

Thanks! My grandma thanks you too! :D

Max Derème

4 hours ago, ynot said:

:dinothumb:

Nice, thanks for sharing Your talent!

Tony

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Your grandma sure is talented. I guess a bit of it rubbed off on you.

Thanks guys!

Max Derème

This morning, I had the time to finish my sculpture. I am quite satisfied with the final result, I think it looks better than what I imagined, and that it gives a good idea of how  the Dorset coast looked like during the Jurassic period.

Giving texture to the Dapedium fish:

image.jpeg

Max Derème

Closeup on the fish:image.thumb.jpeg.135ed1c398e8605f050ce951a2861231.jpeg

Another closeup:

image.jpeg

Max Derème

Closeup on a cute little sea-urchin:

image.jpeg

Max Derème

The whole final piece:

image.thumb.jpeg.139ffe716753be9229f368de4e8f0d28.jpeg

Photo from another angle:

image.thumb.jpeg.7a78fce5a493fe08cff0dbd3cda4fd80.jpeg

Max Derème

Some more angles:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

image.jpeg

Max Derème

And, maybe some of you might be interested in knowing this, the tools I used for making my sculpture (clay):

image.thumb.jpeg.e4f571d7ad7bb17bede0565bdb2aa0fc.jpeg

When I'm writing this I'm on the train on my way home, and my sculpture is still in Middelburg nicely packed. My grandma will try to find an oven in which she will be able to cook my sculpture as to make it solid. After that, I'll be able to bring it back home. By the way, do you think that I should give the sculpture some color, or do you think it would be better to leave it as it is?

Thanks for reading everything!

Max

Max Derème

Well done, Max! :D 

Seeing this finished, and with the great, detailed Dapedium , along with the other neat additions, I had no choice but to grin. 

Great work!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

15 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well done, Max! :D 

Seeing this finished, and with the great, detailed Dapedium , along with the other neat additions, I had no choice but to grin. 

Great work!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Haha, thanks a lot! :)

Max Derème

Archived