Request ID of Fossil shell encrusted geode/nodules Pryors Montana

Oxford

Thank you for viewing this post. Found a group of geodes/nodules that are covered with small fossilized shells. They were found in the southern part of the Pryor mountains of Montana  between Bear Canyon and the Dryhead. Has anyone seen similar rocks, do they have a name, or know any other information about these?   Thanks again. 

image.jpg

I love specimens that are mineral and fossil in one! These are really interesting!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

35 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice looking and very unusual pieces!

Hey @GeschWhat do You think these are coprolites?

Wow...they could be. I have maybe 2 coprolites that contain shells. However, they are small, elongated, and from the Bull Canyon Formation (Triassic). I have so few that I have never cut into them. Does anyone know what formation these would be from? What other fossils are common in the area? Personally, I have only seen coprolites from the Judith River and Hell Creek Formations in Montana. These might be something for Karen Chin to take a look at. If you would like, I could send her photos or give you her email so you can contact her directly. Very interesting!

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/28/2017 at 11:19 AM, Oxford said:

Thank you for viewing this post. Found a group of geodes/nodules that are covered with small fossilized shells. They were found in the southern part of the Pryor mountains of Montana  between Bear Canyon and the Dryhead. Has anyone seen similar rocks, do they have a name, or know any other information about these?  

How big are these?

Do You know the age or name  of the formation?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you all for your help and interest. The geodes range in size from approx. 2" to 6". All were collected on the surface in one small drainage that is at about a 45 degree angle, so the material has eroded downhill quite a ways. We checked other drainages no sign of the same material. This part of the Pryors is mostly limestone with seams of other material. There is a limestone mine and a bentonite mine in the area. Fossils that I am aware of that are found in this area are crinoids, belemnites, oysters and coral. No idea of age or formation. The geodes look to me like they started off as clay balls that rolled around a shell coated surface picking up parts and pieces. Photo of as found geodes. Thanks again for everyones interest and I am happy to post more photos.

Mike (this is my wifes facebook account)

image.jpg