Headed to Venice and the Peace River in two weeks any suggestions or pointers in hunting fossils there?

DENKIDUDE

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and just got back Saturday from the Ernst Quarry for Shark Teeth here in California. Headed to Florida on the 15th to hunt fossils. Would love to find a Meg but the adventure is what is fun! Any suggestions where to go between the 15 th and the 20th would be greatly appreciated. Plan on heading to Venice for a day and then the Peace River. 

Thanks ahead of time. Here is a picture of my finds from Sat. 

MikeIMG_7004.thumb.JPG.8fd148a6a32abf21b77fc15819b2c31d.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds!

I have heard that You need a permit to collect vert fossils in Florida.

@Sacha or @digit should know how to get one.

Good luck and looking forward to a trip report from there.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yes you do need a permit from the University but it is reasonable $5.00 check,Print out online forms and mail it in. Then report what you find. Shark teeth are excluded. You don't need to report them or have a permit just vertebrate fossils. 

For your short visit to be most productive, I would arrange a trip with Fred Mazza or Mark Renz. Very reasonable, they have all the equipment (although I would use bigger screens) and they know where to go.

If you don't want to do a commercial trip, I will probably be going the 17th and I have the equipment for 2 additional people. We would be going to Wauchula, FL if you want a meg (although Blake (FossildudeCO) will tell you that there are no sure things). Check that out on Google maps to see if you want to drive that far. There will be lots of upstream paddling, the water is still cold and we'll be up to our neck in it. I start at sunrise (@ 6:45) and dig till about 2:00 PM.

By the way, if you look at my last post, don't judge that as a normal day. Lots of times I only get fragladons!

• I found this Informative 7

I would just like to put in a good word for John, great guy and hunter. Good luck out there:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

4 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

I would just like to put in a good word for John, great guy and hunter. Good luck out there:)

Thanks Jeff. I miss hunting with you, Chris and Chris. I need to take a weekend and come to see you guys, if you won't work me too hard!

Welcome to the forum from New York! Congratulations on your beautiful makos from Ernst Quarry! I wish you the best of luck. I am making a similar trip week or so after you. Going to Disney but taking a day for Venice and the Peace.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

If you elect for a commercial trip, I believe you do NOT need a vertebrate permit. The guide's group permit covers you. At least this is true for Fred Mazza. Also, I personally would suggest 2 days at the Peace unless you have to entertain your significant other at the beach as I dutifully did a few weeks ago. The quality is far better inland. Have wonderful vacations!!

Mike

13 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

If you elect for a commercial trip, I believe you do NOT need a vertebrate permit. The guide's group permit covers you. At least this is true for Fred Mazza.

True of Mark renz as well.

• I found this Informative 2

I would avoid Venice. I was down less than a week ago and the red tide made it unbearable to even be near the water. This may change in two weeks time, but red tides can last for months and even years.

1 minute ago, DENKIDUDE said:

Hi

but what is red tide I am not familiar with that. 

Thanks

Red tide is an algae growth/blume that is toxic.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Like ynot said, its an algal bloom. It's toxic and deadly to fish and lots of other marine life. To most mammals it is not deadly but can cause a lot of issues with the respiratory system. It affects everyone differently, but it can be quite uncomfortable. Not something you want to be exposed to for long amounts of time, like when searching for fossils.

Just keep an eye on the status here: http://myfwc.com/REDTIDESTATUS

Sometimes these events last only a few weeks, sometimes longer. I would have alternative plans ready just in case. Another day on the Peace River wouldn't be the worst change of plans.

Hey Mike!

There are plenty of spots on the Peace River to keep you busy for DAYS UPON DAYS!

Megs are not guaranteed as John said ;) but then again, John moves more gravel than a front end loader!

It is always a relaxing and fun day on the river when fossil hunting!

Best of luck for whatever you decide to do, we will all be waiting for pictures!

The red tide is definitely in full swing right now, so watch out. It might clear up by the time you get here, but just ask me or someone else who lives around here when its closer to your trip. I wish you good luck on your upcoming trip down here and nice haul from Cali.

On 2/28/2017 at 7:12 PM, Sacha said:

Thanks Jeff. I miss hunting with you, Chris and Chris. I need to take a weekend and come to see you guys, if you won't work me too hard!

I haven't forgotten about the group hunt either John:) hope to have my truck running in the next couple weeks and then we can get a plan together  

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

http://visitbeaches.org/ is another resource that tracks red tide & many more items (Crowds).  I was at Manasota beach today with the wife and found very little in the surf but plenty of people "digging".  Definitely go to the river, with a guide.  Just don't drive thru Myakka River park (72) or you might not want to get in the water after seeing all the Alligators there!

10 hours ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

http://visitbeaches.org/ is another resource that tracks red tide & many more items (Crowds).  I was at Manasota beach today with the wife and found very little in the surf but plenty of people "digging".  Definitely go to the river, with a guide.  Just don't drive thru Myakka River park (72) or you might not want to get in the water after seeing all the Alligators there!

When in any area labeled Myakka,  always pay attention to the locals..GatorMyakka.thumb.jpg.5d9fce1373d4d757db009de17883e2b1.jpg

Some of them take an obvious interest in you.

58baf8836890b_Picture2167s.thumb.jpg.b8725d9e31c12eacb2bf347764946514.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi,

Nice pic the last one ! Brrrrr...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg