NeilG

I just need help identifying this... My great-grandfather found it while tilling a field in Northeast Alabama in the late '30s or early '40s...

What is it worth? This one weighs approximately 10 lbs.

1488321930744.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Per the Forum Rules and Community Standards: 

" Please understand that The Fossil Forum cannot appraise the commercial value of a fossil; this is beyond what can be done through pictures on the internet, so please don't ask. "

Also, sales talk is not permitted outside of the Member to Member Sales Forum.

That said, I think you have a chert nodule or concretion, and not a fossil.

More pictures from different angles would help. ;) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome from France.:D

I agree with the ID of @Fossidude19.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks for the welcome! Also, oops... Overlooked that thing about appraisals. Sorry about that! Sure, I can send more pics... They will change your mind I believe. I will also get detail shots of the exposed flesh of whatever kind of plant it is... Pretty sure it was some sort of bulb plant though. It is shaped exactly like a large onion or turnip that was cut off right below ground level.

1488331476720.jpg

Close up of section chipped off by plow blade.... Notice the rings and also the red  (maybe purple before?) and dark purple coloration

1488332264884.jpg

Another piece chipped by plow... Can't see rings and color as well on this part (looks charred... Maybe my great-grandfather had it by the fireplace or from the field being burnt off?) Though, u can see dark purple showing a little through the charring... What I notice here is how it isn't chipped off like a rock would.. Maybe it was cut way back when it was alive.

Angle with stem, 90° break (or as I believe, cut) and the slice with rings/color.... Notice the rectangular puncture. Puncture looks much more typical for organic matter than for rock.

1488333991530.jpg

I'm with the guys who think this is just a nodule and not a fossil. I see nothing that indicates a fossil.

The photos don't show it terribly well though - ideally we'd have four or five photos showing the whole object from a number of different angles.

Edit: The last photo makes me even more certain that this is just a rock. 

I still think it's a mineral nodule, but wait a little to have more opinions.;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Dark circle is the stem, just can't see protrusions from this angle. If you zoom in, you can see color difference. Very thin layer of ight colored skin and flesh is dark purple (like a turnip) with some red (faded purple)...

1488335469638.jpg

The concentric rings in some of the pictures are pretty classic indicators of a concretion.  ;)

They are formed by layers of minerals, forming around a nucleus, usually of some organic material.

The different colors are just hues of the  different minerals that make up the layers of the concretion.

Sorry, but this isn't a fossil. :unsure: 

If you still have doubts, take it to a local museum or university, and have a paleobotanist/paleontologist have a look at it. :)

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think you should abandon the notion this is a turnip. Such material does not fossilize in a way that resembles what it may have looked like in life. Fossilized root vegetables would likely have gone through dessication, and the odds of preservation and fossilization is very unlikely :(

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Bottom (side opposite of stem) view... Can really make out the purple here. Not sure it is a turnip, but looking at it and seeing detail in person, I am about 90% sure it is organic... I'm no expert, but I do have a decent collection of artifacts. It actually looks a lot like a HUGE onion, I said turnip, because of the size.

1488336328018.jpg

Not organic. Rock. I see no evidence of fossil here. I do see something geologic that resembles a root vegetable.

• I found this Informative 3

I'm afraid there's no reason to think that, based upon your photos. It looks like a fairly standard concretion, or nodule. The surfaces are just normal rock, the shape is as we'd expect a nodule to be. 

Fossilised vegetables aren't really a thing - you can sometimes find fossilised nuts and fruits, but they are very rare in most parts of the world - and they don't look like this.

• I found this Informative 3

I'm understanding what you're saying about petrification of vegetables... But like I was saying, now that I've really been thinking on it during this discussion, I am leaning more toward a starchy tuber type plant or maybe some variety of tunicate bulb plant variety... 

"Tunicate bulbs have dry, membranous outer scales that protect the continuous lamina of inner scales." - Wiki

I'm getting a little suspicious that this might be a joke...

If it's not a joke, then I would recommend you do some Googling to find other such fossils. I don't think you'll find any.

My advice then is to locate precedent. do you know how fossilization occurs? 

Yes, groundwater containing dissolve minerals, such as this calcium phosphate, iron carbonate, quartz, pyrite, etc fills gaps and pores in tissues and hardens over time... I simply feel that pyritization would be possible with a woody, bulbous plant. I admittedly wasn't thinking very in depth when I said turnip lol...