NeilG

Fossildude19, thank you... Sorry about photo quality. Not used to needing such detailed pics, so it has been a learning experience lol... Getting better pics of the white clay one now.

1488369434844.jpg

detail "white clay" #2... Once I zoomed in, I've noticed several places on this one that looks like quartz... Most of surface appears to be white clay, but you can see several shiny white or clear spots where surface has been chipped...

1488369730248.jpg

I think the trilobite might be Cambrian in age. It doesn't look like a Philipsid from the Mississippian. 

Very possible... 530 million years ago was close to the time that my area was inundated with salt water. Cambrian critters are fairly common here too... I have a friend that used to find brooksella like nobody's business.

I know Alabama has some pretty famous places to find them, so I'd imagine as such. 

You should post some if you have them, I think they'd be pretty interesting to see. Most of the Cambrian rocks here don't have much besides conodonts, stromatolites and the occasional trilobite fragment. 

4 hours ago, NeilG said:

1488368588009.thumb.jpg.6c524963c9fdd1168a2230d2c74b47ce.jpg

I'm sure it has turned to stone, btw... Could drive a nail with it, makes a distinct sound when tapped with my ring and you can examine pores in this pic... Has been either chewed or carved on each end also. I just can't believe it is hollow and kept it's original shape!

If I had to guess, this one is a gnawed dog bone (cow bone) that has been exposed to the elements for a while. Welcome to the forum!

4 hours ago, NeilG said:

Will post it to the trilobite thread... My area was covered by a warm, shallow sea until, I believe, 350 million years ago... Found it fairly close to where I found the brachiopods and also have some blastoids somewhere. Meanwhile, can anybody tell me anything about this fossilized bone just by this less than 6 inch segment? It was found within a few miles of the others.

1488368312387.jpg

Dead ringer for the dog chewed bones I clear from the lawn when I mow.

To be clear it does look like a fossil though.

I don't personally have any brooksella, though I will see what I can find...

When I first saw it in the creek bed, I thought it looked like a plain old dog bone too, but then curiosity took over and once I picked it up and upon feeling the weight, I tapped my ring on it and rock has a distinct sound... So, I washed the mud off, examined with eyes and hands, then noticed scrapes and bone structure, at which point I became confident it is a fossil... Just don't know what kind lol... 

Thanks! They've been in the family for a while, but I am now wondering if it may be worth it to crack 1 or 3 of em open and check for organics.

14 hours ago, NeilG said:

Cool... Appreciate the info guys. Not meaning to come off as argumentative... Just curious and hopeful, I suppose. What can you guys tell me about this next one? For, I am 100% sure it is a fossil lol... Several tiny shells on both sides from Alabama's warm, shallow sea days. Also, can I get info on Native American artifacts here? 

1488340274109.jpg

I agree, here you have fossils that look like brachiopods, maybe rynchonellidae.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Your mini-muffin concretion looks like a Moqui Marble, another type of concretion.

Trilobites can sometimes be found in concretions, and your trilobite does appear to be the negative impression from a concretion.

This item looks a bit to me like an impression of a high spired gastropod, perhaps. Clearer pictures and something for scale would be helpful.

1488340826505.jpg.964aec7e9c144695dda5e821a648f797.jpg

The "grass" on the other side would need better pictures to be identified.

1488341154832.jpg.8d2d7221116ccae1100984cd793a41ed.jpg

Right now, with the quality of the picture, I would say they look like tool marks, rather than impressions, but again, better, close up, well lit, detailed pictures might say otherwise.

Also, please put something in your pictures for scale like you did with the trilobite - that is a better picture - holding items tends to create blur, and everyone's hands are different sizes, so it's best not  to use hands or fingers as scale items. ;) 

Also, as mentioned before, it's probably best to post things separately, to get more eyes on them. 

Regards,

I agree with @Fossildude19.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived