Unidentified, hollow fossilized bone segment...

NeilG

Fossilized bone segment found in creek bed in NE Alabama... Found near sandstone and chert in a dry creek. Definitely turned to stone... Could drive a nail and also sounds like rock when tapped. Will also add pics of other side and both ends.

1488370881767.jpg

While this does look like a bone it is probably a hollow tubular concretion that was originally formed around some plant root. Let's see what the bone guys have to say..

I would almost think it was a concretion after my "turnip" misadventure, but it is way too smooth and bone structure is visible from end views... Besides, why on earth would a concretion have teeth marks or scrape marks from a cutting tool?

If this is bone, it may also be a good idea to determine if it is a fossil or contemporary. Have you tried applying a bit of flame? If it smells like burnt hair, it will be contemporary.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

No bone vibe? I am quite positive it is a section of the diasiphys of a cancellous (aka spongy) bone... Spongy bone is found in the humerus of some dinos, it is ever-present in birds of all sizes (including raptors) and I've also been told that mammoth tusk is also... Here, will get a better picture of the bone structure (trabeculae) on inner walls and will post another showing the canal where the artery ran through the bone...

1488390209619.jpg

By the way... No smell from holding lighter to it, it makes a high pitched  "ding" or "ting" on a porcelain cup, heavier than bone and forgot to mention that the creek that I found it in was hardly existent until 1940 when they backed up Weiss Lake (man made) and this creek started swelling and eating it's way through the sand and clay cotton field where I found it...  A friend's great-grandfather said that when he was a boy, it was just a little trickling stream through the woods and between the field and old pasture about 2 ft wide and a foot deep... Now, when full, it is at least 4 ft deep for most of it's length and widened to about 15-20 ft across for most of the length. They had to move the pasture because the bank was encroaching on the fence line and had to give up about 25-30 planting rows in the field so the tractor wouldn't sink or cave in a false bank... Where I found the bone, the creek bank is above my head and I am right at 6'. Still some clay in that area, but most of the banks are sandy soil or red and white chert (clay's gran-pappy) these days...

29 minutes ago, NeilG said:

No bone vibe? I am quite positive it is a section of the diasiphys of a cancellous (aka spongy) bone... Spongy bone is found in the humerus of some dinos, it is ever-present in birds of all sizes (including raptors) and I've also been told that mammoth tusk is also... Here, will get a better picture of the bone structure (trabeculae) on inner walls and will post another showing the canal where the artery ran through the bone...

1488390209619.jpg

It is also found in cow bones. Did you try burning the edge of it as @Kane suggested? If it is a fossilized bone, it will not hurt it. Seriously, this is what the cow bones I used to buy for my dog looked like after he gnawed on them for a few days. If you found it in a creek bed, it would explain the additional weathered look.