Oxfordian, marine reptile tooth fossil

Flanker

Hello everyone,

Last year I have found a fossil tooth, which I (at first) thought could be an interesting shark tooth fossil - since shark teeth are very abundant in this locality. It is just about 10 mm long, but as I looked at it later, I thought that it must be marine reptile fossil. At home I took my micro-camera and took some detailed photos with some small maginification. Then I was sure it is not a shark tooth. but something else. 

I have discussed this finding with Daniel Madzia and his answer was that it possibly belongs to Plesiosauria sp., Ichthyosaurus or Crocodylomorpha. He is teropod expert though and suggested me to ask someone who is into marine reptiles. Could you please help me with identification ? Thank you very much.

Lenght: 10mm.

Unevenly striated, slightly curved, cone-shaped.
Circular cross-section.

Site: Brno Hády quarry (Moravia, Czech republic, central Europe)

30719673334_a085c13952_o.jpg

Edited by Flanker

On 1. 3. 2017 at 5:21 PM, GeschWhat said:

I can't help you with identification, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm confident someone here will be able to help!

:)

Thank you. I hope so. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering, if it couldn't be a pliosaurid tooth crown. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library