Is this fossil or modern? Is it a deer jaw?

cayosusa

Found yesterday in Peace River.  I think it is a fossilized deer jaw but not sure.  I did the tongue stick test - but it didn't seem sticky.  I didn't do the match test because I didn't know how long you had to wait for it to dry out.  What do you all think?

fullsizeoutput_2d37.thumb.jpeg.f9ac62f99d567c31ce641c2080d66b6f.jpegIMG_8161.thumb.JPG.aad85ae7b43f79b7deba0594a1d1c1aa.JPGIMG_8157.thumb.JPG.14be31ce1a35253ba01ad4678fa53714.JPGIMG_8156.thumb.JPG.34fc30861b3cd7bd03717e8852b19b0f.JPG

If it's modern it will lighten in color considerably as it dries. We have some good people here for more to come.

You could certainly let it dry and try to burn a small section to see if it smells like burnt hair. I like to tap mine on a known fossil piece to hear it "" like china or a more dull sound a more modern piece will make. Some places I hunt down here have areas that I find a lot of prehistoric specie that just isn't very well mineralized and you would think questionable stuff would be modern but it made me 2nd quess some pieces I was fairly sure about being modern that may in fact be fossil:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!