My Prehistoric Profile of the T.rex

MatthewS.Paleofan

This is a Profile on the T.rex that I had written for English and would like to see what you all think and correct me on what is wrong about it!

Tyrannosaurus Rex is one of the most famous of all non-avian dinosaurs to ever roam the earth,  and is known by the name T-Rex. Well that is an incorrect wording as the correct way to write the animals name is T.rex. Very few people know this and is one of my life dreams to educate people about this.

Tyrannosaurus means Tyrant Lizard king. The now outdated view of T.rex being a lizard with poor eye sight and lumbering, is incorrect.

In all actuality Tyrannosaurus rex was a warm blooded feather coated bird that could run to 25 miles an hour and actually had the best eyesight the earth has ever witnessed with eye sight over 13 times more clear than a humans. The first clue of this is the fact Tyrannosaurus had front facing eyes, meaning it had perfect depth perception. We know this because of the recreation of the eyes based on the fossil skull, eye sockets, which indicated its eye was the size of a softball.  

T. rex’s binocular range was 55 degrees which is actually greater than that of a hawk, which is of course renowned for its remarkable vision. 

Mix this eyesight with a sense of smell better than a bloodhounds, and a complex bird brain, this would be a perfect predator. Tyrannosaurus needed all these advantages as its pray was far from defenseless. Its pray would have included Ankylosaurus, Triceratops and Hadrosaurus which all have hard armor or a thick tail to ram into the predator to hit it off its feet.

Tyrannosaurus rex lived in North America about 70-66 million years ago in the Hell Creek formation that leads from Montana to Colorado and branch off into Utah and Canada. During the time of Tyrannosaurus, the Environment of Hell Creek was a flood plain, creeks, swamps and dry forests of conifer trees and ferns that dominated for millions of years. The Swamps were home to many creatures such as crocodiles, fish, lizards, small non-avian dinosaurs, amphibians, mammals and birds. 

Away from the swamps, you would find dry forests and plains, which had creatures such as Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Dakotaraptor, Pachycephalosaurus and an uncountable number of others, not including the thousands of plant and fungi species.

Meanwhile giant pterosaurs roamed the sky, and giant marine lizards swam the oceans. All of this was the domain of the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex, an invasive species from Asia that came to America during the early cretaceous period through land bridges and shallow seas. They became the top predator, and knocked other predatory theropod dinosaurs off the throne of Top Predator.

Tyrannosaurus, despite popular belief,  was covered in soft downy feathers much like emus and ostrich. They only really had scales on the under side of the tail, while their legs and face would have skin like an ostrich leg. They also did not roar, and most likely cooed and/or  quacked like a modern day bird.

They cared for their young like a mother bird and would defend them from anything.

The closest living relative of the Tyrannosaurus is now the Chicken, and it may surprise you to know Chickens can chase, catch and devour mice whole, much like the Tyrannosaurus assumingly.

For the very last thing you need to know the T.rex comes from a group of animals called the Tyrannosaurids, this group includes the Dilong, Gorgosaurus, Albertosaurus and Tarbosaurus.

• I found this Informative 1

I don't know much about the T.rex to know if the information is correct but I think you did a great job!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Trex fossils are found in Mongolia, but how do you know they came from asia to america? And there are still other tyrannosaurids like Daspletosaurus ...

I think it is very understandable.

In the first paragraph you refer to T. rex as a "non-avian dinosaur;" but in the next paragraph you refer to it as a "bird."

Small stylistic quibbles; the animals scientific name should be italicized. In the sixth paragraph's last sentence you use the word "predator" three times, a redundancy. 

Depending on your intent for usage of the write-up; citation of your source material may be a necessity. For any purpose it would add to the credibility.

I enjoyed reading your report.    

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

There are numerous places where punctuation could looked at, and some parts could be rephrased to make it flow better. Not being up on my dinosaurs, I can’t really comment on the information, just make sure to use information from academically approved up-to-date sources, or, as I see you’re still at school, make sure you don’t take everything you read on webpages as legitimate. Hope you get a good mark for your report.

My comments as a paleontologist, and as an impromptu English teacher....

The second word, "Rex" is the species name and is never capitalized.  You did well on this in the rest of the paper.  

"In all actuality Tyrannosaurus rex was a warm blooded feather coated bird".... T rex is definitely NOT a bird.  Birds are theropods, but not all theropods are birds.  

"actually had the best eyesight the earth has ever witnessed with eye sight over 13 times more clear than a humans. "  Not sure where you got this; I have never heard this claim before.  The visual part of the brain is not terribly big.  On the other hand, the smelling part is quite large, but "better than a bloodhound"... I doubt it.

Bunnies pray that they don't become prey.  

T. rex did not come form Asia, as someone else mentioned.  T. bataar is from Mongolia and a bit older, so likely, someone came from Asia and evolved into T rex right here in North America and displaced the tyrannosaurs of yesteryear, as it were.  "Invasive species" has negative connotations.  I would avoid it.     

"Tyrannosaurus, despite popular belief,  was covered in soft downy feathers much like emus and ostrich. They only really had scales on the under side of the tail, while their legs and face would have skin like an ostrich leg. They also did not roar, and most likely cooed and/or  quacked like a modern day bird.

They cared for their young like a mother bird and would defend them from anything".  This whole paragraph is theoretical.... there is very little actual evidence for this.  Yutyrannus had proto-feathers, which means not quite feathers. It probably looked more hairy than bird-like.  A good way to deal with this in a paper is to say something like, "some scientists believe that", or, "there are reasons to believe that..."  

Good job... 

Oh, and you forgot to mention that T rex is also found in Wyoming.... where I have found one  : )      (shameless plug) 

• I found this Informative 5

'And Canada'.  You should  try to be consistent.  If mentioning states then you should mention provinces ( Alberta and Saskatchewan)

There are other issues but best always to put qualifying adjectived and phrases before  non established 'facts'.  As in 'some researchers believes'.  Or 'it is possible that'.  Just about every fact you mentioned can be disputed.

I've found one T rex ...parts of several others and about 1500 teeth but my knowledge of 'facts' about this theropod are less than what you write.  I have opinions and ideas about T rex but established consensus is rare.

• I found this Informative 3

If you need a few references to articles about Tyrannosaurus rex, you might want to check out my Pdf Library here on The Fossil Forum.  Here is a link to the section on Theropda.  Just scroll down until you find the section for Tribe Tyrannosaurini.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

12 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

If you need a few references to articles about Tyrannosaurus rex, you might want to check out my Pdf Library here on The Fossil Forum.  Here is a link to the section on Theropda.  Just scroll down until you find the section for Tribe Tyrannosaurini.

-Joe

Well It says it was either moved or deleted but Thank you anyway.

40 minutes ago, MatthewS.Paleofan said:

Well It says it was either moved or deleted but Thank you anyway.

The link has been corrected...you can try it again.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

12 hours ago, MatthewS.Paleofan said:

Good to see that you can tell us where you got your info.  That is a big plus and very important in science.

Anyway, the term "Invasive species" is used by the reporter, not the scientists, who used the "immigrant species".  Subtle difference, but consider this:  humans crossed into North America some 12,000 years ago across the Bering Land Bridge, according to most archeologists.  Are humans an invasive species in, or migrants to North America?   Actually, this question could be a great one for your next paper topic.   

23 hours ago, jpc said:

Good to see that you can tell us where you got your info.  That is a big plus and very important in science.

Anyway, the term "Invasive species" is used by the reporter, not the scientists, who used the "immigrant species".  Subtle difference, but consider this:  humans crossed into North America some 12,000 years ago across the Bering Land Bridge, according to most archeologists.  Are humans an invasive species in, or migrants to North America?   Actually, this question could be a great one for your next paper topic.   

You don't wanna know my Answer when It comes to human invasion.

But really both words work the same, the arrival of a species either it be in a few months of a few hundred years, one species in a new world that causes the death of several others, just like the Native Mmericans and English, their appearance led to the extinction of other animals, the same would go for the Tyrannosaurus, though it would have been a more gradual Die out.

2 hours ago, MatthewS.Paleofan said:

You don't wanna know my Answer when It comes to human invasion.

But really both words work the same, the arrival of a species either it be in a few months of a few hundred years, one species in a new world that causes the death of several others, just like the Native Mmericans and English, their appearance led to the extinction of other animals, the same would go for the Tyrannosaurus, though it would have been a more gradual Die out.

I think I would like your answer to the human question, based on your avatar photo... : )

Just now, jpc said:

I think I would like your answer to the human question, based on your avatar photo... : )

...Extinction some time in the 100 years sounds nice.

On 3/1/2017 at 3:50 PM, jpc said:

My comments as a paleontologist, and as an impromptu English teacher....

The second word, "Rex" is the species name and is never capitalized.  You did well on this in the rest of the paper.  

"In all actuality Tyrannosaurus rex was a warm blooded feather coated bird".... T rex is definitely NOT a bird.  Birds are theropods, but not all theropods are birds.  

"actually had the best eyesight the earth has ever witnessed with eye sight over 13 times more clear than a humans. "  Not sure where you got this; I have never heard this claim before.  The visual part of the brain is not terribly big.  On the other hand, the smelling part is quite large, but "better than a bloodhound"... I doubt it.

Bunnies pray that they don't become prey.  

T. rex did not come form Asia, as someone else mentioned.  T. bataar is from Mongolia and a bit older, so likely, someone came from Asia and evolved into T rex right here in North America and displaced the tyrannosaurs of yesteryear, as it were.  "Invasive species" has negative connotations.  I would avoid it.     

"Tyrannosaurus, despite popular belief,  was covered in soft downy feathers much like emus and ostrich. They only really had scales on the under side of the tail, while their legs and face would have skin like an ostrich leg. They also did not roar, and most likely cooed and/or  quacked like a modern day bird.

They cared for their young like a mother bird and would defend them from anything".  This whole paragraph is theoretical.... there is very little actual evidence for this.  Yutyrannus had proto-feathers, which means not quite feathers. It probably looked more hairy than bird-like.  A good way to deal with this in a paper is to say something like, "some scientists believe that", or, "there are reasons to believe that..."  

Good job... 

Oh, and you forgot to mention that T rex is also found in Wyoming.... where I have found one  : )      (shameless plug) 

Well thank you, I won't argue with someone who has actually found one..But!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtQPo4HKLY

For the feather argument I'll just say the T.rex from Saurian

Though I don't remember where I heard about the blood Hound part I'm sure someone said it.  

On 3/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, Canadawest said:

'And Canada'.  You should  try to be consistent.  If mentioning states then you should mention provinces ( Alberta and Saskatchewan)

There are other issues but best always to put qualifying adjectived and phrases before  non established 'facts'.  As in 'some researchers believes'.  Or 'it is possible that'.  Just about every fact you mentioned can be disputed.

I've found one T rex ...parts of several others and about 1500 teeth but my knowledge of 'facts' about this theropod are less than what you write.  I have opinions and ideas about T rex but established consensus is rare.

Well, I Tried My best in a 20 minute time span. 

Thank you for telling me about it, Is it hard to find those teeth?

3 hours ago, MatthewS.Paleofan said:

Well, I Tried My best in a 20 minute time span. 

Thank you for telling me about it, Is it hard to find those teeth?

Not hard 'if' you  are in good physical condition, have 'the eye', understand the geology, etc.  Dino remains in general are more abundant in the older Cretaceous formations in Alberta. The exception being Tyrannosaur teeth...for whatever reason I find more T rex teeth  than Albertosaurus, etc. 

18 hours ago, jpc said:

For whatever reason, I think  rex teeth are more common the further north you go.  

Also these teeth often fracture in layers like Lego building blocks whereas the Tyrannosaur teeth in other formations are more often fractured lengthwise along the axis.  It might be something to do with climate.   Its not a wet climate in the Scollard Formation but colder and more moisture than most badlands..  Perhaps the unique tooth fracturing is from freeze/thaw  effects.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 11:46 AM, Canadawest said:

Also these teeth often fracture in layers like Lego building blocks whereas the Tyrannosaur teeth in other formations are more often fractured lengthwise along the axis.  It might be something to do with climate.   Its not a wet climate in the Scollard Formation but colder and more moisture than most badlands..  Perhaps the unique tooth fracturing is from freeze/thaw  effects.

That and damage that caused the teeth to fall, Despite they usually just fall and grow like sharks. 

Dino Teeth that shatter or break in life wouldnt preserve. As soon as the integrity of a tooth or bone is compromised it is destroyed by the elements.  Almost all of preserved vertebrate material are intact material that are quickly buried.

We find shed teeth and teeth worn down but not broken in life ( there may be rare exceptions)