Hadrosaur Skin

BadlandTraveller

Hello,

I picked up some Hadrosaur skin on auction last week and not having much experience in skin I'm hoping someone can comment on its authenticity?

Thank you 

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

I don't have a enough experience collecting dinosaur skin to comment on the authenticity of these specimens, but perhaps this thread will help.  

• I found this Informative 1

The patterns are faint, but I do see skin-like texture.

How reliable is this seller, and what data did he provide?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The seller has a limited number of transactions but has hundred percent feedback since 2004.

He claims to be collector/geologist who is getting rid of all his skin samples, he sold a few other similar items.

I've included another picture from the auction I bid it on that has better lighting.

s-l1600.jpg

The first few pictures are pretty ambiguous, but the last ones with lower angle lighting show it much better.  Looks like you got yourself some pretty nice hadrosaur skin.  

Thanks JPC for looking and doushantuo for the great links.

My first set of pictures were from an older iPhone so that explains the poor quality. 

• 2 months later...

This is definitely legit.  It's a very faint example, as has been noted, but it is 100% authentic.  That being said, it's difficult to tell whether this is fossilized skin OR an impression left behind in mud that dried and fossilized (akin to a track-way).  

Yes! There is no doubt that this piece is 100% authentic! The angle of curvature of this sample and other patterns, seems to indicate that it was not formed from a footprint. The degree of preservation of this sample is not the best, but it has an excellent texture, and gives us a good idea of the skin of this particular species. Few people think of this, but through my experience I can tell you that some fossil evidence demonstrates that dinosaurs lay down to sleep, so I particularly do not rule out the possibility that their sample originated from a fine sand mold when a hadrosaur slept on it. By the way! Impressions of skin associated with bones are very rare, and in your case, I would never classify as Edmontosaurus. Edmontosaurus is a genus of hadrosaurid (duck-billed) dinosaur. It contains two known species: Edmontosaurus regalis and Edmontosaurus annectens. But without association of bones, I would classify as being of an indeterminate hadrosaurid. Finally, I apologize for my weak English.

11.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG