Unknown conus pliocene piacenzian

micheleq65

Anyone can help me out here ? Conus ~ 80mm, pliocene, piacenzian, Italy. Possibly debated between Conus mercati and Conus noe Brocchii

Thanks,

Michele

Conus.jpg

Conus_Opening.jpg

Conus_Top.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Michele! :)
Maybe this topic helps a little:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sorry I can't help with id , but its a nice piece anyway !

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

37 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Welcome to the Forum, Michele! :)
Maybe this topic helps a little:

Yes that thread is how I discovered this forum (by googling around) :-)  ... I'm almost convinced it is a Mercati but I was hoping in someone else opinion on that ...

Thanks,

Michele

You're welcome!
Here they are :

Conus mercati BROCCHI, 1814
Shell of medium to large size. Last whorl conical with slightly convex sides. Shoulder subangulate to rounded. Spire moderately low to moderately high with straight to slightly concave outline. Teleoconch sutural ramps slightly convex. Aperture wider at base than at shoulder. No trace of colour pattern.
Plate 2. No. 9, 90.5 mm. No. 10, 36.8 mm (San Gimignano, Siena).

Conus noe BROCCHI, 1814
Shell of large size. Last whorl narrowly ovate. Shoulder rather indistinct. Spire high with convex (domed) outline. Teleoconch sutural ramps flat. Aperture narrow. No trace of colour pattern.
Plate 2. No. 11, fragment 35 x 32 mm [estimated 85 mm] (Diolo, Piacenza).

58b86588692b5_FossilConusfromItalianPiacenzianPliocene-GiancarloPaganelli_3.thumb.jpg.2c5cd825b9d1c36d4bfd7aec533ca82d.jpgConus.thumb.jpg.301c94533104605e9dcbcbd242fb5411.jpg.de36a129ef590223a78ad9a8b437700d.jpgConus_Opening.thumb.jpg.cfca6e526cefa6a4cb2e6d36942c0102.jpg.4bcffcb4f37af1b194f3cdceadb8308a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Wow abyssunder,

that's a seriuos post !! Really nice layout you put together ... by comparing the sample and the pictures I'm now temped to exclude the Conus Mercati as a possible option ... so this would leave me with Conus noe (which may be nice as it seems to be the rarer between the two).

Thanks a lot,

Michele

Edited by micheleq65

Buona sera, amico!

I am the one who suggested you C. Mercati (now I found it erroneously ID!)

on facebook.

That's a nice and rare Conus!

14 hours ago, MOROPUS said:

Buona sera, amico!

I am the one who suggested you C. Mercati (now I found it erroneously ID!)

on facebook.

That's a nice and rare Conus!

Hello my friend ... so you also now voting for Conus noe ?

Michele

You always have good documents in hand, doushantuo, I appreciate this. Also, I like the very old forgotten ones...
(I know that region - Fragmenta Palaeontologica Hungarica 32, 2015) :)
Btw, why don't you elevate your thoughts in the consistency of more elaborate posts? Anyone of us could be right or wrong sometimes in the ID system, that's why we are humans.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Because gastropod systematics are confused as heck,which is why neontologists turn to karyotyping.

AND morphometrics

I believe in large sample sizes BTW.

And besides, I'm more into molluscan functional morphology.

Thank you so much for the material ... extremely useful indeed ... in the end it looks like a Conus Noae