My "dinosaur skin" purchase in my younger days

I was reminded recently of a purchase I made back around the 1980s. A small museum had replica "dinosaur skin" for sale among a few other fossil replicas. It was very cheap, so I bought it. It was a square, about 2 inches wide x 2 inches high, made of plaster.

This thing was awesome, it had so much detail in it. Still, something about it seemed familiar.

About a decade and a half later, I was re-acquiring some of the old Aurora "Prehistoric Scenes" dinosaur model kits via eBay. It was when I got my hands on another copy of the Triceratops model that it hit me.

SOMEONE HAD PULLED A MOLD OF THE SCULPTED SKIN PATTERN OFF THIS 1970s-VINTAGE MODEL KIT AND SOLD IT AS A REPLICA OF ACTUAL DINOSAUR SKIN.

I wish I still had that plaster copy. It was kinda hilarious, in a way.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the story - I can imagine your amusement when you realized the truth. :D 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My thoughts were something along the line of "Wow... once I had a mere replica... now I have the 'REAL THING!'"  :D

HAHA!

That is pretty funny!

I'm sure they never imagined someone would have the actual model!