Venice Beach Florida

tmac

Although the upper left and lower right do look like fish tooth plates the other two pictures (end views) do not show the plate structure of a Diodontidae tooth plate.

I am not sure, but think it is a piece of an ivory tooth or tusk.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

23 minutes ago, ynot said:

Although the upper left and lower right do look like fish tooth plates the other two pictures (end views) do not show the plate structure of a Diodontidae tooth plate.

I am not sure, but think it is a piece of an ivory tooth or tusk.

I agree, on the not fish mouth plate, find a ton of them in the peace. Pretty strongly agree on what it is not IMO. What it is...unsure.

Thanks - for what it's worth if feels like a tooth - do horse teeth - if really worn ever look like this?

Maybe a sawfish rostral fragment?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

What has Me confused is the spiral appearance of the internal view in the upper right picture.

Hey @GeschWhat could this be one of those spiral coprolite things?

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 months later...

A bit out of my area of expertise (and area period), but it looks geologic to me. Take a picture of the other end.

Those rings in the end views brought marine mammal (not walrus, maybe dugong?) or cetacean tooth to mind.  

Dugong ribs also have similar rings, but the size and exterior texture isn't typical for that

Archived