From the Rough to the Polished

Jesuslover340

Well, I figured I might show what I've been up to, but I am unsure as to where this topic fits, so please do move this thread to a more appropriate forum if this subject is not fit for this one, Admins :)

After my recent trip to Australia to see my fiancè and fellow forum member Ash, I had a fair bit of petrified wood laying around. The picture below only shows a small portion of the amount Ash and I collected, but I decided to take and cut the orange chunk in the left of the photo into slabs. I had just recently learned that the local rock shop in town actually had a "cabbing" machine, and in exchange for a few slices, I could use them for free to make cabochons of my own. So after shaping a few up onto "dop sticks", I did just that! I was rather surprised how different they turned out-how stunning compared to the original inconspicuous chunk of wood they originally came from! I also cabbed a few pieces of dinosaur bone the shop had laying around; you can see the end results in the photos below :) They're not perfect (I am a beginner), but just thought I would share how something that is often passed over in collecting can turn out stunning if you put a little work in :) The first single cab photo you see is the first one I ever did, and I have just recently had it wire-wrapped in sterling silver (the last photo). However, the last photo doesn't show the same quality as the first does due to poor lighting. Nonetheless, it's been a fun hobby to keep me occupied during the winter months :) I hope you enjoyed this brief update!

20160719_091420-1.jpg

20160808_101716.jpg

20160810_132141~2.jpg

20160810_184337.jpg

20160808_170648-1.jpg

20160810_184415.jpg

20160810_184432.jpg

20161219_155820-1.jpg

20170302_215641-1.jpg

20170302_215647-1.jpg

20170302_215722-1.jpg

20170302_215814-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

That wood was a very pleasant surprise when sliced! Nicely done!

Edit: Any pics of the big white chunk sliced? :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

5 minutes ago, Ash said:

That wood was a very pleasant surprise when sliced! Nicely done!

Edit: Any pics of the big white chunk sliced? :)

Yes!

20160808_162328.jpg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

I see a gremlin thing! :P Nice wood! I'll get a pic of mine :)

Still can't believe you lugged that onto the plane lol

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

2 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

:) They're not perfect (I am a beginner), but just thought I would share how something that is often passed over in collecting can turn out stunning if you put a little work in :)

I find you've done an excellent job! Thanks for sharing!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Great work, Skyelar!

Wonderful pieces. :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks everyone :)

@ynot That may be awhile yet :P

1 hour ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Thanks everyone :)

@ynot That may be awhile yet :P

I have a card somewhere for the "North Brisbane Lapidary Club".. could go there sometimes to learn :)

I hate to ruin this, but those are terrible.

I suggest you box them up and mail to me. I will hold on to them and spare you the embarrassment of displaying them in your home!

Great work Skye. What do you plan to do with them?

They are gorgeous!

@Ash Brisbane will be a bit far...?

Thanks, @FossilDudeCO! Unsure...maybe turn them into a necklace?

2 1/2 hours, would be fine for like a "once a month" type thing :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Used a fragment of fossilized bone from Australia for this one:

1488937175017_2083203771_31a8e146-1.jpg