Isle of Wight Vertebra

Goldkaiser

Hi guys I recently acquired a nice Vertebra from the Isle of Wight from someone I know. It was found in yarvaland and comes from the Wealden. It's Cretaceous in age. It was labelled as polacanthus but I'm unsure if it is and the price was quite cheap so I went ahead just wanted to check in case it's an Iguanadontid Vertebra instead so I can relabel. Many thanks for looking

GK

IMG_5333.thumb.JPG.7cbf23535d863e19d0fb7a6c91429fd2.JPG

Identification of centrums to a family of dinosaurs is very difficult except for those intimate to these species so it's best done by a local museum. 

I don't believe your specimen belongs to the Iguanodont family just does not have shape in lateral and anterior views but could be wrong.  Polacanthus has been recorded in the uppermost Wessex Formation and lower Vectis Formation which is located at Yaverland where your specimen was found.  I'm not familiar these vertebrae but found this image of one on the web where there is some resemblance.  Nice purchase. 

.58b9a2fb14182_Polacanthus_bones(1).thumb.jpg.d027a074edf7eddf277069d4af1d82f5.jpg

36 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Identification of centrums to a family of dinosaurs is very difficult except for those intimate to these species so it's best done by a local museum. 

I don't believe your specimen belongs to the Iguanodont family just does not have shape in lateral and anterior views but could be wrong.  Polacanthus has been recorded in the uppermost Wessex Formation and lower Vectis Formation which is located at Yaverland where your specimen was found.  I'm not familiar these vertebrae but found this image of one on the web where there is some resemblance.  Nice purchase. 

.58b9a2fb14182_Polacanthus_bones(1).thumb.jpg.d027a074edf7eddf277069d4af1d82f5.jpg

Thanks troodon, it was a nice purchase at the time and cost me no more that what it would usually cost for me to visit the island either; considering I had a free ride this time was not bad ;) happy that may be the case as it currently one of the centre pieces of my collection from the island.

Thanks again,

GK

Archived