Apoderoceras Ammonite

Crann

Was out hunting today and noticed a concretion under a large chunk of shale, had a peek and noticed the Ammonite, I've looked in books and online but can't really ID it as most the spiked ammonites are a lot thicker, have yet to open it as don't want to mess any of the spikes up as they do look delicate, I don't have a prep pen yet as I'm still pretty new to this, you think worth having it prepped or open it up carefully ? Was found on Yorkshire coast near Whitby, thanks... Alan

20170303_174252.jpg

20170303_174302.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Ooo!  Very nice! :wub:  You may want to have that one done professionally if you don't have a lot of experience.  It'll be very challenging to preserve the spines, and I suspect few specimens retain them as well as yours.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice! You could very well have a Peroniceras there, perhaps P.turriculatum. You really should get that prepped by an expert.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

16 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Ooo!  Very nice! :wub:  You may want to have that one done professionally if you don't have a lot of experience.  It'll be very challenging to preserve the spines, and I suspect few specimens retain them as well as yours.

Don

Cheers Don, I'm a hands on kinda guy but looking at pens and compressors they seem pricey, any ideas on prices for someone else to prep ? Think a guy in Whitby does them actually.

2 minutes ago, Crann said:

Cheers Don, I'm a hands on kinda guy but looking at pens and compressors they seem pricey, any ideas on prices for someone else to prep ? Think a guy in Whitby does them actually.

Byron Blessed at the Fossils-UK Shop.

Will ring him tomorrow see what he says, really want to open it up to see inside, think the spikes would stay put even with a pen as they look flimsy ? Cheers

7 minutes ago, Yvie said:

Lovely specimen,keep us all posted.

I will, was having not much luck then noticed it sticking out from shale block underneath, never count yourself out fossil hunting that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Crann said:

I will, was having not much luck then noticed it sticking out from shale block underneath, never count yourself out fossil hunting that's for sure.

Haha,the other day went to Bracklesham and the pyrite bed was broken up and bits all over a few of the beaches,went back yesterday and storm Doris has covered it all over with shingle,a waiting game now.

5 minutes ago, Yvie said:

Haha,the other day went to Bracklesham and the pyrite bed was broken up and bits all over a few of the beaches,went back yesterday and storm Doris has covered it all over with shingle,a waiting game now.

Ran into a nice guy who was showing me his bits n pieces (ooo er) who knows the area well, first time I had visited it, had nothing to show him apart from some small dacs, started walking back and found this, was a strange one to spot but just depends where your eyes wonder.

"... was a strange one to spot but just depends where your eyes wonder. "

So true, success often depends on looking in just the right direction at exactly the right time, while the angle of the sun is just so, not too much shadow or glare, and on and on.  Experience leading to the right "search image" is also important.  It's easy to walk right past a fossil if all the factors don't align just perfectly.

Glad you had luck, that is a beautiful fossil.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

Only one I've seen similar is the Eoderceras but the edge seems much thicker than this specimen... hmmm

20 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Byron Blessed at the Fossils-UK Shop.

Spoke to Byron today, he says the two guys he uses are not taking on work atm, advised me to have it professionally prepped, he was interested in the ammonite so I sent him photos to help with ID. Really fancy my own prepping set up.

Think it's looking more like an Apoderoceras from pictures I've been looking at which I believe are pretty rare to find.

Wow a great find, thank you for sharing in how you found it... how they seem to appear there 'all at once' is very exiting! all the best from somerset and good luck 

24 minutes ago, Crann said:

Think it's looking more like an Apoderoceras from pictures I've been looking at which I believe are pretty rare to find.

Upon closer inspection, I can see that you are most likely correct in your analysis. I wasn't paying enough attention. Even better than Peroniceras! All the more reason for a meticulous preparation.

31 minutes ago, Crann said:

Cheers guys, I really need my own prepping pen... 

You would need not only a pen, but even more so an abrader. I honestly think that if you haven't done much prepping, you should let someone with experience do the job. It would be more than worth the expense. Saving spines is one of the most difficult jobs requiring a lot of finesse. Sometimes there's no other way to save them than breaking them out, abrading them down and glueing them back on again, which is an extremely fiddly job.

• I found this Informative 2

Experience is everything I guess, just can't find anyone local to do it, guess it's been waiting to be exposed for about 190 million years so what's a few months eh... ha

A grinder can be very useful for spines too, before air abrading. The professional guys who can do it tend to be busy! 

Tarquin

21 minutes ago, TqB said:

A grinder can be very useful for spines too, before air abrading. The professional guys who can do it tend to be busy! 

Yea I understand they are busy that's why can't do mine, not a problem for me to wait. As I said, no rush.

Couple of more photos after it has soaked in water and dried out, appears to have a crack running around it as if ready to lift off, still think the spines will lift off with it though which is the concern.

20170304_185156.jpg

20170304_185207.jpg