nj cretaceous stream interesting finds.id please

brad hinkelman

found some interesting things today....any help please..........

I'm assuming first is a pathlogical tooth,

and the second petrified wood

and I'm thinking ray barb on third and don't know the tooth

100_5581.JPG

100_5574.JPG

100_5576.JPG

100_5570.JPG

100_5571.JPG

100_5572.JPG

First one is a crow shark, not deformed as far as I can see.

Second one could be wood , not sure.

Third is a ray barb.

can not help with the other pieces.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The last two pictures are of spiral coprolites! Very nice!

EDIT: While spiral coprolites are generally attributed to sharks, they are other fish species that also have spiral valves. These include (but are not limited to) rays, skates, lungfish, coelacanths, birchirs and a few others.

31 minutes ago, ynot said:

Third is a ray barb.

Tony

awesome thanks,,,,the crow has a bent section like a 45 degree bend.

Your Ray barb is actually a dorsal spine of a chimaera (ratfish). It's a nice find.

11 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

did someone say spiral coprolite?

jaiavol26_copindi_pp813-829.pdf

Thanks, doushantuo...I don't think I have read this paper. I have seen the unfolding West African lungfish sketch, but hadn't seen the one for the Australian. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I actually joined an aquarium forum once where they were posting pictures of lungfish poop. I asked if anyone would be willing to send some specimens (dried) so I could take photos at various stages of unwind. I didn't get any takers. I guess my request was a little too over the top, even for those who post pictures! :P

2 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Your Ray barb is actually a dorsal spine of a chimaera (ratfish). It's a nice find.

wow awesome Thanks!

35 minutes ago, ynot said:

Third is a ray barb.

Tony

100_5593.JPG

100_5595.JPG

Harry Pristis might know.It's pretty worn.I stink at teeth identification,but i think it is a molar .Don't know position,or of it's upper or lower dentition

Pretty nice coprolites. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

52 minutes ago, brad hinkelman said:

100_5593.JPG

100_5595.JPG

No idea on this one.

Can You set it down and get a picture without the fingers blocking the piece. Front back and side views please.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

You found some super nice poop brad...I'm a little :envy:  That Chimaera  dorsal spin is also a super find ...I have yet to find one myself. and the crow shark tooth is a little pathological ,,but the mammal molar looks to be very old even for the brooks ability to stain things....I'm possibly thinking that it might be a plesitocene  tooth,,,what.... I don't know.   Well you did great this time out......:):):):)   

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

2 minutes ago, njfossilhunter said:

You found some super nice poop brad...I'm a little :envy:  That Chimaera  dorsal spin is also a super find ...I have yet to find one myself. and the crow shark tooth is a little pathological ,,but the mammal molar looks to be very old even for the brooks ability to stain things....I'm possibly thinking that it might be a plesitocene  tooth,,,what.... I don't know.   Well you did great this time out......:):):):)   

thanks Tony!!   yes I loved finding such a wide variety of different things today,was awesome...and yes the tooth is very interesting

Squalicorax pristodontus Agassiz 1843 ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

No, sorry. Looks more like Squalicorax kaupi.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Well Brad, you did pretty good for yourself this time out. As you can see by the comments, you've made several long time collectors envious. Keep up the hunt, we like seeing more of the unusual items.

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

Well Brad, you did pretty good for yourself this time out. As you can see by the comments, you've made several long time collectors envious. Keep up the hunt, we like seeing more of the unusual items.

Well thank you 

Archived