Fox Hills Ammonites!!

minnbuckeye

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

If those are the "lesser specimens" and you destroyed the better ones, the destroyed ones must have been spectacular.  Your "lesser specimens" would be the prize of many collections.

Don

I agree, most collectors would really love to have your "lesser" specimens.

Fantastic finds!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Those Discoscaphites are awesome!!!! I love the gastropods too. So much eye candy! Big congratulations. You had a terrific day. Thanks for the excellent report and wonderful pictures.

5 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

If those are the "lesser specimens" and you destroyed the better ones, the destroyed ones must have been spectacular.  Your "lesser specimens" would be the prize of many collections.

Don

Here is a good example how NOT to prep out a concretion. Kris (Ptychodus04) had graciously put up for auction a professional prep job. That sly Snolly out bid me and took advantage of this wonderful offer. I had hoped to ship this concretion to Kris if I had won. I could tell it had some possibilities to it.

DSC_0107.JPG 

Left on my own, I whittled away at this until it looked like this:DSC_0729.thumb.JPG.b29a0a9ebb6e4b7ff1bfbdd0ab85f749.JPG 

It looks neat, but upon closer inspection, I destroyed three beautiful ammonites. Just crumbled when touched lightly.  Had Kris handled this, it would have been a prize possession of mine. And I was very careful!!! So one could extrapolate how easy it was for me to destroy my initial ammonites. They were in worse shape than these unlucky specimens. I will just have to visit Grady again to practice a little more. Practice makes perfect. Right???

On 3/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, minnbuckeye said:

Here is a good example how NOT to prep out a concretion. Kris (Ptychodus04) had graciously put up for auction a professional prep job. That sly Snolly out bid me and took advantage of this wonderful offer. I had hoped to ship this concretion to Kris if I had won. I could tell it had some possibilities to it.

DSC_0107.JPG 

Left on my own, I whittled away at this until it looked like this:DSC_0729.thumb.JPG.b29a0a9ebb6e4b7ff1bfbdd0ab85f749.JPG 

It looks neat, but upon closer inspection, I destroyed three beautiful ammonites. Just crumbled when touched lightly.  Had Kris handled this, it would have been a prize possession of mine. And I was very careful!!! So one could extrapolate how easy it was for me to destroy my initial ammonites. They were in worse shape than these unlucky specimens. I will just have to visit Grady again to practice a little more. Practice makes perfect. Right???

Its a beautiful piece still. It's very easy to destroy a specimen. Don't be too hard on yourself. I've done it a million times. The other ammonites probably weren't very good anyway.

Next time you go hold onto a concretion for me to prep! 

Speaking of @snolly50, I pulled the  Noto out today to do some more abrasive treatment after several weeks of her enjoying most of my work bench and it started raining. Since I do all my abrasive work outside (due to lack of good dust collection in my shop), I thought that might not be the best conditions for the old girl. You know how easy it is for the elderly to catch pneumonia...

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Speaking of @snolly50, I pulled the  Noto out today to do some more abrasive treatment after several weeks of her enjoying most of my work bench and it started raining. Since I do all my abrasive work outside (due to lack of good dust collection in my shop), I thought that might not be the best conditions for the old girl. You know how easy it is for the elderly to catch pneumonia...

Be careful! That beauty hasn't been swimming in 55 million years or so. She probably is a little rusty in regard to water skills.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 3/3/2017 at 7:50 PM, minnbuckeye said:

...Hope you enjoyed my excursion to South Dakota.

Very much so...who doesn't love beautiful ammonites in a stream bed? :) Thanks for sharing.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

26 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Be careful! That beauty hasn't been swimming in 55 million years or so. She probably is a little rusty in regard to water skills.

Thankfully, I didn't even get my table and chair set up before the rain came! We made plans for the two of us to go water skiing this weekend though. I'm sure she will be fine, she's a fish after all.

Very nice trip report and lots of great photo's.  Been to that exact same spot myself even.  Neato ammo's. 

RB

very nice trip report.  I agree with uncle siphuncle... best ammonite presevation in the US.  And yes, the tube thing is a scaphopod, or tusk shell.  The Fox Hills is late Cretaceous, Maastrichtian. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 2:39 PM, Wrangellian said:

That high-spired snail in the upper left of the one collage looks so much like an unidentified one that I find in my local Santonian spot, I'm curious if it has a name!

Just saw this thread today, I don't know about fossils from that age or location, but I have similar looking modern gastropods and they are in the genus Hemifusus. 

20 hours ago, sdsnl said:

Just saw this thread today, I don't know about fossils from that age or location, but I have similar looking modern gastropods and they are in the genus Hemifusus. 

Who knows? There are so many different taxa.. I also have a nameless bivalve from the same place (Cret.), and I found one virtually identical from the Pliocene of Florida online, that I would swear it is the same genus at least, but I wouldn't bet much on it...

Archived