Unknown fossil south eastern Florida

mpb0312

Hey I'm a new member and I need some help with identifying this fossil! I've had this for a few years now but I just found this website and am so curious if someone might know what this is. I found in at a beach in southeastern Florida, and have never seen something like it since. on the other side of it, it looks as though it broke at some point (this is how I found it) I would be so appreciative if someone could tell me what this is!

fossil 2.jpg

fossil.jpg

2 hours ago, Guguita said:

Beautiful :wub:!

That's a pufferfish (tetraodontid) mouth plate,IMO.

Regards,

Not Tetraodontid. It is Diodontid. Very easy to tell the difference by the name. Tetraodontid means 4 toothed because puffers have two upper and two lower tooth plates. Diodontid means two toothed because the fish has a single upper and a single lower tooth plate. Diodontids include burrfish and porcupine fish.

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Not Tetraodontid. It is Diodontid. Very easy to tell the difference by the name. Tetraodontid means 4 toothed because puffers have two upper and two lower tooth plates. Diodontid means two toothed because the fish has a single upper and a single lower tooth plate. Diodontids include burrfish and porcupine fish.

Thank you, Al Dente!

Archived