Unknown tooth from North Florida

thefossilkid

I found this mystery un-erupted tooth a few weeks ago while snorkeling the Sante fe river. The site is came from is Pliocene -Pleistocene. Roughly the size of a golf ball.

oCcM3q.jpg

RaMmCU.jpg

lJo2h3.jpg

yGJ6Qo.jpg

M5OCV8.jpg

Jake.

I DO NOT KNOW, but I am thinking Gomph or Rhino. Assume you will be contacting Richard Hulbert.  In the meantime::popcorn:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Rhino is what everyone says, but there were no rhinos during the Pleistocene. I did contact Hulbert, he said he needs to see it in person. I just haven't made it down to the museum yet.

Jake.

Here are a couple, both from Florida:

Menoceras from North Florida:

paleodirect5.jpg.54502a14cd6cb3c1e08382e5630e5ccf.jpgs-l1600a.jpg.d0f198e52a67810a2148cd1d804b16b7.jpg

Bone Valley

RH450TeleocerasProterumWP.jpg.19df9084e0862dd69a5d4708fb2500f2.jpg

I think you should emphasize the "Plio" in Plio-Pleistocene.  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

My apologies,I got the sites mixed up, there are no pliocene exposures where this was found, just Pleistocene 

Jake.

Well...if it was found in a river then it certainly could have been carried from older sediments somewhere upstream.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Hulbert has to say.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Just thought I'd update you guys, I had some free time so I went down and saw Dr Hulbert, I brought him this Peice, and he said he's pretty sure it is a deformed lower mastodon tusk. 

Jake.

2 hours ago, Carl said:

Wow! If that's what that is I say it's FOTM worthy!

Unfortunately, it was found in February.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If it's a mastodon tusk the Schreger lines should be visible in the transverse section/view in the upper part of picture 2. They could be there, but, unfortunately, I don't see them.:headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library