Tusk or Leverite

Miatria

This turned up in my screen.  It has an unusual look to it so I don't want to toss it until I can get a better idea of what it might be.  The inside looks like dentin instead of bone.  It's 2" long.

20170222_090936.jpg

20170222_090819.jpg

20170222_090918.jpg

20170222_090955.jpg

Zookeeperfossils.com

1 hour ago, Miatria said:

This turned up in my screen.  It has an unusual look to it so I don't want to toss it until I can get a better idea of what it might be.  The inside looks like dentin instead of bone.  It's 2" long.

Intriguing exterior,  I can not discern any Schreger lines that would allow a description of tusk.  The interior seems to be enamel to me.

Without any strong opinion,  I am thinking whale ..

Note that there are both latitudinal and longitudinal lines on the exterior of the whale tooth below.  I can not quite recall who I was hunting with when I found it.

Still, I have no conviction and will be curious to have someone identify :popcorn:

ToothCMb.thumb.JPG.6f2ceb0ad7ffefd2fd84f184fb65636f.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

This reminds me of the tip of a walrus tusk, a rare but not unknown fossil in Florida.  I believe that the best-known dugongid (Metaxytherium) has a rounded, not a spikey canine.  In any case, it is an unusual find.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi all, this is a tusk of the Mio-Pliocene sea cow Corystosiren varguezi. These are not very common; we've got a nearly identical piece here in our collections at CCNHM. Corystosiren has blade-like tusks with enamel only on one side (I believe the lingual side) and the labial side is just dentine/cementum.

Corystosiren 2.jpg

Corystosiren.jpg

• I found this Informative 3