Ara Kotchian

Topanga Canyon fossile site

Ara Kotchian

Hi folks

New here, I'm a very very amateur beginning fossile hunter.  Figured I'd join instead of wasting time.

A few days ago I read about this area on Old Topanga Canyon road off of the Ventura highway near Calabasas.  I got all excited and went there today to try to find some shell fossils.  Unfortnately it was a total bust.  The area is supposed to be open to public but now there is a private property sign up, no good place to park, and there is a road crew working there.

Anyhow, I figure I'll join a local geology group or something, I found this forum so I'll read up on my area and find pointers for beginners.

-AK

Fruitbat

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  Glad to have you with us!

-Joe

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Joining a local club is a great way to get into fossil hunting. 

Good luck . :) 

Regards, 

minnbuckeye

Welcome. Road work next to a known fossil site??? Worth checking out any material pushed or piled up by the crew.

caldigger

Unfortunately, any information more than a couple of years old can easily be obsolete when dealing with open space areas. Especially in an area around the L.A. basin that is constantly expanding outward. This is a problem we all to run into with good sites. They always seem to want to build right on the best collecting spots. Constant research is the key.

Ara Kotchian

They had dug up the road and had steel plates down.  I didn't see a pile of dirt so I assume it was already hauled away.