coled18

Hi all, I'm fairly new to this forum and fossil hunting in general. I need help identifying these, idk if they are coral, sponges, posibally bone or what. These were found in NE Kansas, in a rock deposit full of bryzoans, bivalves and other oceanic fossils. I do know the majority of these fossils here come from around the Cambrian through the Permian periods, however there have also been a few ice age fossils in the area, so that may help. Thanks a lot! 

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

CD

@ynot,

I had a feeling the first one was calcite, I have a few crystals in my mineral collection and I noticed some similarities. Thanks a ton!

CD

Some of the pictures are a bit blurry so we can't see the details/textures, also, it is a limit of little under 4 MB for upload per post. You could use consecutive posts or reduce the size of the photos.
As far as I can see, there are Ca-carbonate based geological specimens, the first one might be a multi-layered calcite structure. I don't see any recognizable fossils remains there.  Maybe the second one could give some hopes. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder

Thanks for the input! I am pretty convinced the second one is not a fossil, but I was thrown off by the porous shape and structure of the specimen.

CD

Hi, coled18.  I live and hunt south of you on eastern edge Flint Hills.

Here is a map of our area that may help you understand the geologic time period we are in.

fig23.gif

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

@Innocentx Have you ever found complete fish fossils splitting rocks in the Hills before? I need to go out one of these weekends, and I always see a lot of loose fish bones in limestone, just never a complete skeleton.

CD

I look through the splittable shale but don't find much.  I have found small sharks teeth, probably Cladodus.  They are fragile and embedded in the cement-like giant limestones, so I've only taken pictures.

001 - Copy shark tooth.JPG

001 shark's tooth.JPG

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Wow, thanks for showing those. I guess I should look for shark teeth one of these days.

CD

Archived