Mama Got an Air Scribe for Christmas!

DessaRose

Hi Everyone! I hope this finds everyone well and I love the new look! (thats how long Ive been gone) I was on here last year buggin everyone for tips on prepping and unfortunately, I work a job that does not allow me the time much time to prep during the summer, but I have been practicing a little here and there. I do have AWESOME NEWS! my amazing husband got me a CP9160!! (I actually squealed when i opened the box) I'm ready to hunker down with my magnifying light and prep!

Here are 3 I have been practicing on, just getting the hang of the air scribe, and not blowing nacre to oblivion (as opposed to chipping away at it with my electric engraver).... I have looked at a bunch of different "glues" but do you guys have any recommendations for keeping things together as I work? I was scoping out Paleobond, but I have no idea which one to get to select based on porousness.

I'd post "before" pics, but I didnt actually take any since I was just dinkin and was surprised at what I have been uncovering. The first 2 actually had very little showing. And Im debating how to remove that large amount of matrix on the first one. The last one has some cool odds and ends so I thought Id try and clean it up some.

::Edit:: I lied, I found one -  the first picture is the before of the 2nd picture. :)
-Dessa

17156293_10212840163697735_7537591571043643340_n.thumb.jpg.e5c77ad64979e71cd7df35d0a464cfa0.jpg

17190344_10212839964532756_3762216315286608823_n.jpg

17190554_10212839878610608_7161505076741664418_n.jpg

17156010_10212840002613708_6102375185067146558_n.jpg

4 hours ago, DessaRose said:

Hi Everyone! I hope this finds everyone well and I love the new look! (thats how long Ive been gone) I was on here last year buggin everyone for tips on prepping and unfortunately, I work a job that does not allow me the time much time to prep during the summer, but I have been practicing a little here and there. I do have AWESOME NEWS! my amazing husband got me a CP9160!! (I actually squealed when i opened the box) I'm ready to hunker down with my magnifying light and prep!

Here are 3 I have been practicing on, just getting the hang of the air scribe, and not blowing nacre to oblivion (as opposed to chipping away at it with my electric engraver).... I have looked at a bunch of different "glues" but do you guys have any recommendations for keeping things together as I work? I was scoping out Paleobond, but I have no idea which one to get to select based on porousness.

I'd post "before" pics, but I didnt actually take any since I was just dinkin and was surprised at what I have been uncovering. The first 2 actually had very little showing. And Im debating how to remove that large amount of matrix on the first one. The last one has some cool odds and ends so I thought Id try and clean it up some.

::Edit:: I lied, I found one -  the first picture is the before of the 2nd picture. :)
-Dessa

Congrats on your aquisition. You obviously have a loving husband. I share your enthusiasm (for the tool, not your husband :P) I find that liquid superglue works best in many situations. You can let it run into cracks and crevices and potential breakage points as you move along and the excess is easily removeable later on with acetone or abrader. But don't be disappointed if you lose some material despite your efforts. Sometimes a shell is just too soft and porous to be saved.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice to have new and better prep tools.  You mention paleobond.  I use a lot of the same stuff (cyanoacrylate) but buy it from Star Bond out of Los Angeles, half the price.  I use both the thin and medium thick vescosities, but I also have other glues too.  You run into all kinds of different situations with all kinds of fossils so its best to be prepared.  Good luck

RB

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dessa! Thanks for the great post. I've been wanting an air scribe for a long time. 

In regards to Paleobond, there are many different types of glue and each of them has a different thickness. The higher the number on the bottle the thicker and stronger the adhesive. You don't need extremely strong glue for smaller fossils I'm most cases.  

They also sell Penetrant Stabilizer glue which is basically an extremely low viscosity glue that penetrates through the cracks of a fossil and really strengthens it. If your fossil is really fragile and unstable you want to use this first. It's my favorite product that they sell for fossil prep and I use it way to often around the house as well. :ammonite01:

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

First, id like to marry your husband.  Ha!! Just kidding.  :).   Second, would love to see your progress.

RB