Red Benjamin

Hi again,

Posting this as it's also very unusual for round these here parts..

Size is 3 inches approx

Nearby there are

Caloceras Johnstoni Ammonites :) (a term i picked up from this article here on the forum thank you Seth) 

Can anyone help out with an id i only have one photo atm

All the best in your quests

Ben

IMAG4161_1.jpg

I think that may be two superimposed, worn ammonites. The one on the right is easiest to make out, with a centre and an outer whorl sweeping round it to the right.

Very likely crushed Caloceras like the nearby ones.

Tarquin

interesting find Red.  Looks invertebrate to me.  Too regular to be a mineral deposit.  Maybe a stain of ammonite soft tissue?  Just a blind stab.  Here's a photo i found of a belemnite impression.

graeme-fig10.png

If it is a tightly packed group of Caloceras, you may have more than two here judging by the arcs. 

Alternatively, you found Cthulu! :D

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

38 minutes ago, TqB said:

I think that may be two superimposed, worn ammonites. The one on the right is easiest to make out, with a centre and an outer whorl sweeping round it to the right.

Very likely crushed Caloceras like the nearby ones.

Thank you once again Tarquin, here's a sample of two beauties gently washing away... :) quite large the one on the left is 300mm dia

one thing that threw me with the original find / image is the apparent clubbed end to the squirmy type thing on the left!?

thanks again

Copy - DSC_0397_048.JPG

28 minutes ago, M Harvey said:

interesting find Red.  Looks invertebrate to me.  Too regular to be a mineral deposit.  Maybe a stain of ammonite soft tissue?  Just a blind stab.  Here's a photo i found of a belemnite impression.

graeme-fig10.png

Cheers M Harvey! i thought it was the innards of an ammonite, although we do have belemnite's here, they are rare to find .. thank you

21 minutes ago, Kane said:

If it is a tightly packed group of Caloceras, you may have more than two here judging by the arcs. 

Alternatively, you found Cthulu! :D

love it.. a Cthulu it is ;) cheers Kane

Archived