Bracklesham Shell find

Yvie

oyster1comp.thumb.jpg.120b75d9a00dadc755facbe07f21d92e.jpg58bdbbb266084_shells003.thumb.jpg.0586acaf7943b61a4f072ef61256baee.jpg58bdbbe252466_shells002.thumb.jpg.2e59ba0d404c7ab9919497b3f098dc6c.jpg58bdbc08cf99b_shells001.thumb.jpg.6cc0b748b8e23ef40beb52223e2bbe87.jpgI found this beautiful58bdbc93552ab_shells004.thumb.jpg.0ca9a4a07193c287b27592b47bf0012a.jpgly preserved shell on the side of I found this beautifully preserved shell at this exposure last year after a scouring tide.The bed is usually covered with sand and is a SSSI site so no digging around.In the last picture across the Solent is the Jurassic Isle of Wight,so near yet so far!!With one of the most expensive ferry crossings going.

Nice to see part of the beds exposed. It looks more modern to me, I'm not confident it comes from the Bracklesham Beds.

Not sure about disagreeing with Kosmoceras, but to me that looks like Cubitostrea, so very likely it does come from the Bracklesham Beds

If it is needed Cubitostrea sp then I stand corrected. To me this looks like the oyster Ostrea edulis.

Its great to see what this collecting area looks like. Thanks for sharing!

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

All the above genera are from the Late Pliocene - Eocene of UK, if I'm not wrong.

Isn't Bracklesham Group (Bracklesham Beds) in the Middle Eocene and not in Cretaceous as it is tagged in the topic?

I'm not familiar with the region, so, I better ask. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Even if this ostrea is modern, it's a nive one as are the shells you show. It's lovely landscape, very beautiful, thanks for sharing.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

All the above genera are from the Late Pliocene - Eocene of UK, if I'm not wrong.

Isn't Bracklesham Group (Bracklesham Beds) in the Middle Eocene and not in Cretaceous as it is tagged in the topic?

I'm not familiar with the region, so, I better ask. :headscratch:

Yes my fault Eocene oophs still newby with L plates

Sorry i can't help with the ID BUT.... Really nice to see the landscapes where you've collected and clear sight of the Middle Eocene layer there, thanks for sharing!

Have you extracted it from a block of Cardita Bed (like in your picture above) or was it found loose, elsewhere?

The Earnley Formation has three beds: the Cardita Bed, the Palate Bed and the Turritella Bed. The CB contains oyster shells of Cubitostrea (C. elegans, C. plicata), but they are much smaller than your specimen (12cm). It looks close to Ostrea edulis as Kosmoceras says, and the dimensions might be good for that.

oyster1comp.jpg.e75fdc06a577f907488dd48459ada8a2.thumb.jpg.48cfdff73342a89ac60da457bd506e6e.jpgM010205.jpg.268fcdafb6fe650822a4dec79b6cd857.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Have you extracted it from a block of Cardita Bed (like in your picture above) or was it found loose, elsewhere?

The Earnley Formation has three beds: the Cardita Bed, the Palate Bed and the Turritella Bed. The CB contains oyster shells of Cubitostrea (C. elegans, C. plicata), but they are much smaller than your specimen (12cm). It looks close to Ostrea edulis as Kosmoceras says, and the dimensions might be good for that.

oyster1comp.jpg.e75fdc06a577f907488dd48459ada8a2.thumb.jpg.48cfdff73342a89ac60da457bd506e6e.jpgM010205.jpg.268fcdafb6fe650822a4dec79b6cd857.jpg

Hi I got it from the left hand side of the second picture in the water mostly out of the bed.I picked that one as it looked different from the others.( Cardita bed)

I went there today and the beds are sand covered,however,one part of the Turretella was exposed.I'll post picture of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Thank you for showing these. :)
As I see in your pictures the Turritella Bed overlays the Cardita Bed.
If the specimen in question was sticking out of the CB it's clear that is fossil, no doubt. Probably the distal ornaments of the shell were more exposed to the weathering of the waves+sand, suggesting, with the pinkish color spots,that it could be modern. Nice, tube worm remains on the surface, BTW. Are they also present on other shells of the same bed, or they had preferred only this large valve?

According to the well-known and helpful Wikipedia, Ostrea edulis dates back to the Miocene, not to the Middle Eocene.
According to the PaleoDB the distribution in UK is in Late Pliocene .

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Nice! Thank you for showing these. :)
As I see in your pictures the Turritella Bed overlays the Cardita Bed.
If the specimen in question was sticking out of the CB it's clear that is fossil, no doubt. Probably the distal ornaments of the shell were more exposed to the weathering of the waves+sand, suggesting, with the pinkish color spots,that it could be modern. Nice, tube worm remains on the surface, BTW. Are they also present on other shells of the same bed, or they had preferred only this large valve?

According to the well-known and helpful Wikipedia, Ostrea edulis dates back to the Miocene, not to the Middle Eocene.
According to the PaleoDB the distribution in UK is in Late Pliocene .

The worms were only on this one that I picked out of the bottom of that bed from what I remember.I usually try to take only ones with matrix in them to attempt to find goodies attached.The tide was also racing in so I didn't stay long.:faint:Thank you for your help.

@doushantuo thank you for your posts.The flood defence work is affecting the Selsey end quite a bit,I'm going to try and keep a photographic record each time I go now.Think I could do with buying a GPS marker!

For any purposes, I'll suggest Garmin for the software (superposed maps + sonar). :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived