New pictures for large bone fossil

BKaller

Welcome to TFF!

Can You provide more information?

Where is it from" How old is it?

Pictures from all sides and the ends would help to.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

36 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Can You provide more information?

Where is it from" How old is it?

Pictures from all sides and the ends would help to.

Tony

3 minutes ago, BKaller said:

Still need to know the location and age of this bone.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The new topic with better pics of the specimen in question has been merged into this topic.

I see on one of the images, BKaller mentions that he does not remember how he obtained it, so we probably won't get much more info to go off of with this one.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

56 minutes ago, BKaller said:

A friend who runs a fossil safari in Wyoming gave it to me.

I see maybe a sauropod caudal, but heck, your friend ought to be able to tell you what it is.  

I agree with jpc, one possibility is a caudal vertebra from a sauropod.   The length works and with both ends being flared out a centrum is a good possibility.   Here is a picture of that vertebra and what I have pointed to in red could be the attachment points for the spine.

ToZax6d.thumb.jpg.7fa7cbe76eac37674fffa78f37b71571.jpg

Here are a couple of screens shots of Diplodocus caudal vertebrae to compare against.  Lots of different sauropods in Wyoming so it does not have to be this species 

Screenshot_20170307-015432.jpg

Screenshot_20170307-015407.jpg

II agree with troodon,and thanks for posting those pix.  I don't know much about Ceratosaurus, but I do know a bit about other large theropods, and I will still go with sauropod.  

I would also be very suspicious of that ID looks more like a sauropod.  Theropods during the Jurassic were not that massive especially ceratosaurs which were one of the smaller large predators.  So their tails were composed of lightweight vertebrae.  Here is a photo of a ceratosaur caudal vertebrae upper right very different than your specimen.

20170308_064351.thumb.jpg.4046e7be24d2957a6d3d393fc6234e74.jpg

20170308_064423.thumb.jpg.3dceba2005165253cd0394394831d278.jpg

MAJOR update!!! I found paperwork and even more fossils. Please help me identify the smaller ones, and how it relates to the big one. Also, it is most likely from Louisiana. 

Can you please post individual pictures of the items you are asking about so we can comment on them.    The views provided are not adequate to diagnose.   It's highly unlikely your items came from Louisiana they probably came from the same locality of the centrum the Morrison Fm of Wyoming Iike your paperwork indicates.  I don't think the smaller items are related they appear to be theropod while your centrum is from a sauropod.

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I don't think the smaller items are related they appear to be theropod while your centrum is from a sauropod.

I think I answered your question

Archived