2016 Best Finds, Im still a beginner at this!!

Dylan

The first two items look like some sort of coral, maybe similar to Favosites sp.

Your third item looks like a chunk of chert. 

The fourth picture looks like some other type of coral.

And the last item looks like indeterminate bivalve or brachiopod shells.

Good start, I'd say. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thanks to all

Ludwigia I do most of my hunting in South East Saskatchewan, in the qu'appelle valley. I've just started exploring the area..there's lots to be found 

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Thanks to all

Ludwigia I do most of my hunting in South East Saskatchewan, in the qu'appelle valley. I've just started exploring the area..there's lots to be found 

Then have fun and good luck to ya!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I see brachiopods (or imprints, partial) in item #3.

SE Sask - unusual location for Paleozoic fossils... Normally you think of Mesozoic for that province.. 

Keep collecting!

The first is a tabulate coral...similar to Favosites ( as mentioned by fossildude);

Its not unsual to find Paleozoic fossils throughout most of the Prairies.  These were churned up and brought in on the glaciers.  When I'm looking for Cretaceous vertebrates I sometimes also find Paleozoic corals, the odd brach, etc.  These are usually quite worn or polished from streams.  Because the specific origin of the fossils are not known, they  can't be identified with any certainty except to family level.  

Anyways, ocassionally one can find 400 million year old invertebrates, 70 million year old dino bones and a few thousand year old buffalo bones all within a few meters of each other.

Archived