Darktooth

Photocube Photobomb!

Darktooth

I wanted to show the forum members my new Photocube, courtesy of Aerogrower. Ray sent me one of his self made photocubes, and I absolutely love it! I am very impressed with the quality and professional finish on this cube. Now when I post pics of fossils I will always have this 1 inch cube on hand for size comparison.  Ray, Thank-you so much for your generosity!  Here are some pics, 1st a Herkimer Diamond and the rest some trilos

20170306_220136.jpg

20170306_215921.jpg

20170306_215855.jpg

20170306_215825.jpg

20170306_215736.jpg

FossilDudeCO

Very nice Darc!

I am jealous of that Herkimer too!

Wrangellian

What, no metric? You Americans...

(just kidding) I guess a 1 cm cube would tend to get lost more easily if you took it out to the field....

jpc

I agree.. Americans are weird that way.  But what does N, W and T stand for?  North West Territories?  (Now, I sound like a Canuck, eh)

aerogrower

Crazy world @Wrangellian ! All the machinery, tooling, etc that this was made on, all run in metric. Had to convert everything to standard just to make a 1 inch photo cube lol. Next batch I am going to come up with a metric version for the rest of the world.  :D

aerogrower
7 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

The 6 sides are labeled:

T (top)

B (bottom)

N (north)

S (south)

E (east)

W (west)

And it is a perfect 2.54cm cube!

See...we can has metric!

Yup. It is supposed to be used as an orientation in the field so that you can record exactly the direction it was found in situ. Pretty cool.  

Darktooth

I don't know if I would bring it in the field because with my luck I would lose it!

Wrangellian

I would probably lose it too, but a larger one would be less easy to lose than a small 1cm one. Maybe a 2cm cube?

I like the T B N S E W thing.... Might have to get me one of those, whatever size. On the other hand I find so few fossils in situ that it might never be used.

It's funny to me that you call the Imperial system 'Standard' when it's not the standard any more, worldwide, but you had to come up with another name than 'British' or 'Imperial', right? ;)

aerogrower

Dang I almost said "english" instead of standard lol @Wrangellian. Can't win lol. Send me a pm of what size non standard err metric or whatever you people north of the border call it ,and I will see what I can do :D. Getting busy at work again but when I make one it's just as easy to make more. 

Kane

Only the US, Liberia, and Burma still use "imperial" measurement (yes, even the UK relented!).

Interesting fact: Napoleon tried to push the metric system, but failed to get traction. He also failed with his continental economic system. Today, all of the EU uses the metric system, and the EU itself is the continental economic system. He may have lost at Waterloo, but... :D

jpc

Quick thought for the next one you make... it seems to me it might be useful to put a directional arrow on each of the compass direction faces.  If I use, say the N side in a field photo, do I put the N cube way up on top of the photo?  If I crop the photo, the data could be lost.  An arrow would eliminate confusion.  

Wrangellian
On 2017-03-07 at 9:33 PM, jpc said:

Quick thought for the next one you make... it seems to me it might be useful to put a directional arrow on each of the compass direction faces.  If I use, say the N side in a field photo, do I put the N cube way up on top of the photo?  If I crop the photo, the data could be lost.  An arrow would eliminate confusion.  

Are you talking about placing the cube on, say, the North side of the fossil, with the N-side of the cube facing up? I just assumed you would orient the cube with the T facing up, the N facing North, etc. so it didn't matter where in relation to the fossil you put the cube, and then take the pic with more than one face visible. But I guess that's not always possible or easy? I've never used one.

Wrangellian
On 2017-03-07 at 3:05 PM, aerogrower said:

Dang I almost said "english" instead of standard lol @Wrangellian. Can't win lol. Send me a pm of what size non standard err metric or whatever you people north of the border call it ,and I will see what I can do :D. Getting busy at work again but when I make one it's just as easy to make more. 

Thanks, Keep me in mind if you get making a batch of them again... I was thinking of a 2cm cube.. But for now I'm short on cash (that's normal) and there is no rush. Most of my collecting these days is from sites where nothing is in situ any more so direction is not important...

Wrangellian
On 2017-03-07 at 3:19 PM, Kane said:

Only the US, Liberia, and Burma still use "imperial" measurement (yes, even the UK relented!).

Interesting fact: Napoleon tried to push the metric system, but failed to get traction. He also failed with his continental economic system. Today, all of the EU uses the metric system, and the EU itself is the continental economic system. He may have lost at Waterloo, but... :D

It's funny that he would push the metric system, but he abolished the new revolutionary calendar that had been in place in France for the previous decade or more. Maybe he had reasons...

Kane
6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

It's funny that he would push the metric system, but he abolished the new revolutionary calendar that had been in place in France for the previous decade or more. Maybe he had reasons...

As Louis Antoine Fauvelet de Bourriene says in his memoirs on Napoleon, "the corn of Provence did not wait to be ripened by the sun of the month of Messidor." Which is to say that the calendar reform was a confusing botch, despite attempting to line up with decimalization and removing any reference to religion and royalty. De Bourriene further remarks that its lack of seamless, universal applicability made it particularly frustrating for the French living in overseas territories.

Calendar reform is, believe it or not, an interesting topic. The Calendar Reform Act of 1750 made England the last to adopt the Gregorian calendar, but not before nixing 11 days to align with everyone else. If memory serves, there was an amusing debate on this change dramatized in Thomas Pynchon's Mason & Dixon

Ok, I'm done hijacking this thread with trivia! Back to marvelling at that nice photocube!:D

aerogrower

Thanks for all the input, I enjoy all the history lessons:D. As far as its use, I believe it is meant to start with the T facing up, and then if you wanted to show the bottom of the fossil you would rotate the cube and fossil together. That way everyone would know that it is the B or bottom. Same with the compass orientation, it also would follow the fossil to show the four different sides of the fossil. That way you would know top, bottom, front, back, and left, right of the fossil. Pretty ingenious wish it was my original idea lol.

aerogrower

@Wrangellian just like a fossil. your 2 cm cube is in there just cant see it yet. Needs a little prepping :fistbump:.20170315_102716.thumb.jpg.109bc75af83088676d3f8d79c97e22a1.jpg

Wrangellian

I can kind of see it...

You must have a well equipped shop. What machine carves in the letters?

aerogrower

Its 20170211_115046.thumb.jpg.2e0465563b10e64cf6f285f80ca82bd6.jpgall done on a Makino F3 high speed mill. Brand new too!

Wrangellian

:fistbump:

FossilDudeCO

Very cool!

aerogrower

@Wrangellian Here is your 2 cm photo cube taking shape. Not as small as I thought it would be.58d287e83ae19_20170322_0958001.thumb.jpg.172e48bbfc1988846bb34cb152f05e62.jpg

Wrangellian

I know, it's almost an inch but not quite. I wondered if a 1cm would be better.. but I might lose it easier. What kind of metal is it, aluminum?

Just had a thought: the larger size might be usable for giving orientation in site photos, not just for fossil in-situ shots. The larger size will be more easily visible even at some distance from the camera than a 1cm cube would, if I can find a suitable spot to place it in the shot.

aerogrower

Yes aluminium. I think it will be fine. Any smaller and it would be difficult not to lose!