Darktooth

Photocube Photobomb!

aerogrower

See wouldn't it just be easier for everyone to switch to.........

Ptychodus04

Can you make one from steel that is magnetized and sits inside a fluid filled chamber so one doesn't have to bring along a compass or GPS in order to determine north with any reasonable accuracy? :P

Still a very cool piece of equipment.

aerogrower
32 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Can you make one from steel that is magnetized and sits inside a fluid filled chamber so one doesn't have to bring along a compass or GPS in order to determine north with any reasonable accuracy? :P

Let me give it some thought....:headscratch:

Darktooth
On 3/28/2017 at 3:03 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Still a very cool piece of equipment.

Yeah and then you can mount it to the handle of one of your hand crafted knives and one would have their own  special Rambo knife. 

Ptychodus04
20 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Yeah and then you can mount it to the handle of one of your hand crafted knives and one would have their own  special Rambo knife. 

That's great idea! Maybe I'll forge a custom digging tool with a spot for it...

Wrangellian

That's what I was thinking. And 2cm should be workable for photo'ing both small and large items, right?

BTW is it possible to put a small mark at the 1cm mark on at least one or two edges, to make it easier to visualize smaller measurements? I don't want to ask too much.

aerogrower

1491423888147-1444719447.thumb.jpg.c570abf4baaeb2ab0b9aa5cbeb89353b.jpgTest cut for my first 2CM cube! Also have a mark at 1 cm for @Wrangellian:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Wrangellian

That will look good. Can you put another halfway mark on the bottom edge below that, too?

aerogrower

Not really enough room with the 2cm down at bottom. I will put the top notch on all sides though. When its 3-D on the cube I think you will see the mark from the side next to it, if that makes sense? I will have a cube done today so we will see!

Wrangellian

What you describe sounds like what I meant - not next to the '2cm' but on the bottom of one of the N/W/E/S sides, adjacent to the 'B' side.

Ptychodus04

Ray @aerogrower is AWESOME. A random small parcel showed up in my mailbox the other day. After checking for a ticking sound and having my dog sniff it, I felt safe to open it up. :P

Much to my surprise, there was a beautiful 1" (2.54cm for all you single world order types ;)) aluminum cube inside. I foresee a change in my photo scale coming in the near future thanks to Ray.

JohnBrewer
On 07/03/2017 at 4:42 AM, Wrangellian said:

What, no metric? You Americans...

(just kidding) I guess a 1 cm cube would tend to get lost more easily if you took it out to the field....

:D

Boesse

Big thanks to @aerogrower for the kind gift - given to me at the Aurora Fossil Festival last weekend! I'm looking forward to the metric variety - I guarantee scientists will start buying these off you if you get it done in metric. I can't remember for the life of me who handed it to me, though - still trying to match faces to names to FF usernames! After the fossil festival I was quite motivated to go out and prospect, so here's a photo with the cube for scale next to a tiger shark right here in Charleston.

photocube.jpg

aerogrower

@Boesse that would be @SailingAlongToo who gave you the cube. Big thanks to him and his wife for promoting the cube!! Metric versions are on the way! Glad you like it and I will let you know when they are available. Be safe out there. Here is a little guide for its use.

The 6 sides are labeled:

T (top)

B (bottom)

N (north)

S (south)

E (east)

W (west)

So that it can be used insitu to show compass orientation the fossil was found in.You can also use it to show which side of a fossil you are looking at, in other words rotate the cube along with the fossil so when you take a picture everyone will know what side they are looking at.

aerogrower

Getting back to work on my oreodont.20170628_181125.thumb.jpg.35dba39c562c5ac9279556e2b90dc7f4.jpg

Darktooth

Nice work so far, Ray! Looking forward to the finished product!:popcorn:

JohnBrewer
On 07/03/2017 at 4:42 AM, Wrangellian said:

What, no metric? You Americans...

(just kidding) I guess a 1 cm cube would tend to get lost more easily if you took it out to the field....

Hahaha

aerogrower

I'll  make any size you want just let me know lol. I aim to please. :dinothumb: