What is this?

cmercado

Ho everyone,

I've been all over the place trying to figure out what fossil this is, but being a rank amateur is no help. Any ideas as to what this is?

Thanks!

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

Hey there! 

We'll probably need some pictures that are more in focus as well as any information you have about where this was found.

The photos are very blurry, but I'm pretty sure that I recognize an oyster, possibly Arctostrea gregaria from the Oxfordian, for instance in Normandy, France. Please give us more information on it if you happen to know the location where it was found and also the stratigraphy. Better focussed photos would make id much easier, as Bguild suggests.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree - it looks like an oyster, maybe similar to Rastellum sp.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with the others.
It looks very close to the North American Ostrea (Arctostrea) carinata Lamarck described from the Cretaceous of Texas. As I said in the post linked by JohnJ, it has a lot of synonyms.

58c09b395485f_Plate7.thumb.jpg.2c0b84c629235b438f4682b0cc24fa15.jpg58c09b3395977_Plate7_text.thumb.jpg.fa7299c91ff4d562994cd47ae537ad0f.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

looks like Agerostrea falcata? to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think, Arctostrea gregaria sounds like Lopha gregarea , which is from the Oxfordian of Clavados, France, unlike Arctostrea carinata from the Cenomanian of Normandy, France.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Until we know it's providence I am also going with Rastellum if it is in fact from Texas and not from the latest of our Cretaceous formations.

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I think, Arctostrea gregaria sounds like Lopha gregarea , which is from the Oxfordian of Clavados, France, unlike Arctostrea carinata from the Cenomanian of Normandy, France.

I found mine many years ago at Vaches Noir and since I was still inexperienced at identifying, I put an id question into Steinkern, which precipitated a huge debate about what it might be called, due to innumerable revisions over the years. I didn't quite understand what was going on at that point, but since a recognized bivalve expert insisted that it should be called A. gregaria, I went along with that and I haven't really thought about it since then. If you google that name, you end up with a string of oysters, mostly from Normandy, with that name. It could however very well be an error. It seems that there are still a lot of different opinions about the taxonomic position of this subgenus or genus, depending on what you read, let alone the species, so the jury still seems to be out on this one, at least in Europe. So I've just decided to revise mine, call them all Arctostrea sp., and leave it at that. Lopha, by the way, is no longer recognized as a fossil species and Actinostreon has taken over the genus name.

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I think in Texas, this one is well known as Rastellum carinatum (Lamarck 1819).

I've had a closer look and now I agree with you on that, since it's from Texas and the subgenus is Arctostrea.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/