General Photos From The Drumheller Area

captain badlands

just some non-fossil photos from the areas where i collect. I'm a bit of a shutterbug, but I often forget to take pictures cause I'm too busy looking for that elusive Albertosaurus skeleton.....

this is an old foundation near the Wayne area, likely associated with mining interests in the early 20th century

drumheller09003.jpg

more old mining stuff near wayne:

drumheller09023.jpg

drumheller09024.jpg

drumheller09025.jpg

- to be able to lead, you must first refuse to follow

- is that a rock hammer in your pocket, or are you just that happy to see me?

- where are all the unicorn fossils? that stupid troll lied to me!

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

yep, there's always more.....

this is an inside pic of the mining cart from the previous post, picture 4

drumheller09026.jpg

this giant metal tube is just lying around, it supposedly was part of a device used to wash rocks

drumheller09022.jpg

from the other end of the tube:

drumheller09021.jpg

this is a piece of coal mining equipment on the side of the road in Rosedale, just a few miles south of Drunheller. That would be me on top ...

drumheller09028.jpg

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

a full view of the mining device from previous post

drumheller09027.jpg

you can see this wierd red tower if you approach Drumheller from Calgary. This tower is located at the Drumheller Institution, a prison.

drumheller09030.jpg

I have a thing for trees that grow out of rock.... this tree is growing out of a crack in this sandstone

drumheller09012.jpg

I found this nest quite by accident while scaling a steep hill, I went to put my hand down and the momma bird scared the snarge out of me. The whole time I was trying to get a picture this momma bird was dive bombing me and making one hell of a racket

IMGP2170.jpg

I basically stood at the top, overlooking the village of Wayne. Starting from my left (west) and working towards my right this is the entire valley as seen from that spot

drumheller09010.jpgdrumheller09008.jpg

drumheller09013.jpgdrumheller09009.jpg

one more "panarama", this one is looking from the Orkney Viewpoint

this is what you're looking for on the highway...

IMGP2181.jpg

looking south along the Red Deer River twoards Drumheller and Nacmine you can see the beginnings of Horsethief Canyon on the left

IMGP2177.jpg

Looking directly across the river (east) at Horsethief Canyon. I can actually see places I've collected in this picture. The whole canyon would easily take up another two frames...

IMGP2178.jpg

Looking north up the river, towards the Bleriot Ferry

IMGP2175.jpg

This is looking from the very bottom, up at the spot where I took the previous three pics

IMGP2173.jpg

Nice photos. You have a good eye for framing the picture that a lot of people would miss.

I really like old, rusty, derelict stuff.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yep, there's always more.....

this is an inside pic of the mining cart from the previous post, picture 4

drumheller09026.jpg

this giant metal tube is just lying around, it supposedly was part of a device used to wash rocks

drumheller09022.jpg

from the other end of the tube:

drumheller09021.jpg

this is a piece of coal mining equipment on the side of the road in Rosedale, just a few miles south of Drunheller. That would be me on top ...

drumheller09028.jpg

Nice to see some one with a Cigarette in the Mouth, I think that we smokers are like Dinosaurus everybody is

afraid of us and we are going to die out B) .

Beautiful Pictures!

Werner

Better a bad Day at the Beach than a good Day at the

Office!

Great pictures and that place looks like a great place to fossil hunt also. B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

thanks for the kind words people, I endeavor to share my adventures as much as possible cause stuff like this is way too cool to keep to yourself. These pictures represent a fraction of the amazing things that can be seen in the area, the "badlands" actually start just south of the town of Stettler (about 45 minutes north of Drumheller) and follow the Red Deer River to a point somewhere south of East Coulee, about a half hour south of Drumheller. I could probably visit a different spot everyday for the rest of my life. I have given considerable thought lately to just moving to Drumheller, I dont even care if I had to work at McDick's or the Walmart..... To me the privilage of being there would far outweigh the drag of a crappy job. There isnt an abundance of work out there since the last boom wore off...

cool pics. I agree with Afrikaner....keep smoking. Quitters never win, and winners never quit !

cool pics. I agree with Afrikaner....keep smoking. Quitters never win, and winners never quit !

Way to go earthdog you can also come to SA to have a smoke on the Beach while we hunt

for shark teeth B) .

Better a bad Day at the Beach than a good Day at the

Office!

Like I've said before, I would trade away both kidneys to visit South Africa and learn to speak Afrikaans, visit Durban......