Northern Alabama Cretaceous collecting.

PaleoRon

Hello All.

I have been working in southern Arizona for a few months with no fossil fix, but I will be returning to the east coast at the beginning of April. The Tucson show was great but it's just not the same as finding your own material. I will be going through Alabama on Interstate 20 to Birmingham and then heading north to Tennessee, and beyond, on either I-65 or I-59. Are there any locations within an hour of where I will be traveling where either Ptychodus teeth or Hardouinia echinoids can be found? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron

The North sulphur river and Post oak creek would seem to fit the bill.

But I have not been to that part of the country so (?).

Good luck and post pictures!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks. Those are both interesting areas to collect but that would take me up to northern Texas. I managed to collect both of those sites a few months ago on my way to Arizona. I found some nice fossils and even got to see a family of otters having fun in the water.

Yes, you will be going through Tuscaloosa and demopolis, which has several sites where ptychodus teeth are plentiful. Unfortunately I have never collected there so I don't know any specifics, but you might try asking the BPS if they would be willing to tell you. They do field trips to a few creeks where Cretaceous stuff is found. Most of my spots are a few hours northwest in MS, but I have always wanted to try AL

It's been a while since I was active with the BPS, but the creeks we collected were on private property and I'm fairly confident they will not just hand out GPS coordinates.  At best, they might provide a phone number to a property owner.  You could try "Shark Tooth Creek" in Aliceville, AL.  This is a "pay to screen" site which is operated commercially as a family recreational activity.  At one time the gravel there contained an abundant lag of Cretaceous teeth including Ptychodus mortoni.  The teeth are still there but as they became less abundant due to collecting pressure it seems the owner started "salting" the site with commercially available bulk teeth, probably from Venice Beach.  Although the owner apparently denies salting, many of the teeth people find there now are Miocene/Pliocene species that are inexplicable otherwise based on the area geology.  Nevertheless you can still find some Cretaceous teeth (especially Scaphanorhynchus) including Ptychodus if you are lucky.

I'll PM you about a Hardouinia site.

Don

Archived