coled18

Hey guys, I'm kinda new in fossil hunting, but even from my limited experience I like it a lot. Does any one know of any spots in NE Kansas that are worth visiting? I'll probably visit a couple road cut outs and some spots near Tuttle Creek this weekend and post my findings, if anyone would be interested.

CD

I would be interested in seeing what you find. Usually we're entreated to the Kansas chalk beds fossils. Spectacular as those are, I know Kansas offers many other types of fossils as well.

WELCOME to the Forum!  I was actually BORN in Manhattan!  My FAVORITE beer (Buffalo Sweat) comes from Manhattan TOO!   On to your request...I would suggest the western side of Perry Lake.  I was there A LONG time ago...BUT...you could find some nice wing-type spirifer brachs, horn corals and other assorted Penn aged fossils.  As I recall, the area was close to public camping areas on the lake. We will welcome your reports!   Dave 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Dave, I will definitely check out that area one of these days! I'll post if I find anything interesting.

CD

• 5 months later...

I have been fossil hunting for a couple of years with my kids in eastern Kansas... a trip to Manhatten is in my future... here are some discoveries from Donaho road and 435 in kc ks

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

@PK73 Nice finds! If you go to Manhattan i suggest looking around the south side of Tuttle Creek. There are a bunch of roads there that are cut away and there's tons of fossils exposed. Best of luck 

CD

9 hours ago, PK73 said:

I have been fossil hunting for a couple of years with my kids in eastern Kansas... a trip to Manhatten is in my future... here are some discoveries from Donaho road and 435 in kc ks

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

Surprised I haven't run into you there!:)

Steve

Eastern KS is a great place to find a wide variety of fossils. Near KU campus I got into some Pennsylvanian shale with beautiful ferns and other plan species. There's tons of fossiliferous limestone just about everywhere you look. Have found trilobites and large ammonites on some private land around Louisburg, KS. Good luck!

4 hours ago, dylandreiling said:

Eastern KS is a great place to find a wide variety of fossils. Near KU campus I got into some Pennsylvanian shale with beautiful ferns and other plan species. There's tons of fossiliferous limestone just about everywhere you look. Have found trilobites and large ammonites on some private land around Louisburg, KS. Good luck!

Thanks! 

CD

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 7:33 AM, dylandreiling said:

My daughter is a freshman at KU.  It the place you mention publicly accessible?  Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

I dony know much abouy eastern kansas but I do know that in the western side there is the famed Niobrara chalk which is extremely rich in EVERYTHING THAT I WANT. Maybe someday you coukd go there.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

On 9/15/2017 at 10:51 PM, stats said:

My daughter is a freshman at KU.  It the place you mention publicly accessible?  Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

Ahh yes It may be. It was probably 10 years ago last time I was there, and it was with the university itself. The staff at KU are always super helpful when it comes to localities. I'd have her pay them a visit and ask. Most of where I went was private and I no longer have access given that I live in another country. 

All the best. 

Dylan

On 9/17/2017 at 11:18 AM, dylandreiling said:

Ahh yes It may be. It was probably 10 years ago last time I was there, and it was with the university itself. The staff at KU are always super helpful when it comes to localities. I'd have her pay them a visit and ask. Most of where I went was private and I no longer have access given that I live in another country. 

All the best. 

Dylan

Thanks, I'll ask around.  She is volunteering at the KU Natural History Museum.  I'm very proud of her.  Someone there might have some ideas.

Cheers,

Rich