trilobite preparation advice

salvo1989s

Hi, i bought this russian trilobite for preparation, done just some ammonite before this. i have a record power engraver and a lot of patience. any good advice on this? here some pic of the specimen that is splitted in 2 parts.

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

Looks like it should be relatively easy, I would keep attacking it the way you are. It looks like a soft chalk that should separate easily. Probably should glue the two halves together before continuing or you're likely to mess up the edges where they meet.

• I found this Informative 2

Be sure to look at some photos of good prepped specimens of the same species to get a picture of where the various bits ought to be.  Nothing like drilling through an eye because you didn't expect it to be there.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I think I see prep marks on the trilobite! Oh well, nothing disastrous. I kept doing that the first time I tried prepping a local ammonite with an airscribe, and couldn't believe how difficult it was to avoid. Definitely something you need lots of practice on, and a steady hand unlike mine.

I was tempted to buy one of those unprepped Russian bugs and send it to someone like Malcolm to work on, but the cost of even an unprepped one seemed a little high, with the cost of shipping to and fro... (Maybe or maybe not, I don't know.)

On 12/3/2017 at 11:49 PM, Wrangellian said:

I think I see prep marks on the trilobite! Oh well, nothing disastrous. I kept doing that the first time I tried prepping a local ammonite with an airscribe, and couldn't believe how difficult it was to avoid. Definitely something you need lots of practice on, and a steady hand unlike mine.

I was tempted to buy one of those unprepped Russian bugs and send it to someone like Malcolm to work on, but the cost of even an unprepped one seemed a little high, with the cost of shipping to and fro... (Maybe or maybe not, I don't know.)

yeah i know there are some marks =( but it's really hard to avoid it with an electric engraver and with my little skills. anyway, yes the cost its a bit high but i paid for this only 58£

For your first trilobite prep, using just an engraver, this is a triumph! Certainly a piece I know I'd be quite proud of having on display. Well done! :trilo:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

For any restoration I use water based wood filler, which you can find in several colors so get one close to matching your bug. Fill up any marks, wait for it to dry, then do some sculpting with an exacto knife. Apply the wood filler in small amounts- you may need more than one layer to fill some spots. Once you have the shape blended to your liking, touch up the spots with water based paint and a fine brush. Everything is water based so that it is easily removable. Nice prep for a first-timer.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Oh wow, I had no Idea you could prepare the fossils that way, You must have a very skilled hand, If I tried to even Gently chisel a Trilobite Fossil, I'm sure it would fall to pieces, How did you outline it so good?

I think you did a very good job for a first go at it. For small restoration you can go to a hobby store and get tamiya filler that they use for plastic models . It dries super fine and super smooth. Not that good for large voids but great for small imperfections. Sands very easily to super smooth finish using emery type paper.  Unlike some of the other fillers it tends not to shrink as it dries out. You can fill gaps in the matrix by grinding up some matrix and mixing it with watered down white glue or a vinac or pvc solution.

• I found this Informative 2

It did come out looking better than it was looking earlier... I might not even bother with fixing the marks now, if it were mine! But Malcolm's idea sounds good if you want to pursue that.

On 14/3/2017 at 0:12 PM, Kane said:

For your first trilobite prep, using just an engraver, this is a triumph! Certainly a piece I know I'd be quite proud of having on display. Well done! :trilo:

On 14/3/2017 at 1:50 PM, Malcolmt said:

I think you did a very good job for a first go at it. For small restoration you can go to a hobby store and get tamiya filler that they use for plastic models . It dries super fine and super smooth. Not that good for large voids but great for small imperfections. Sands very easily to super smooth finish using emery type paper.  Unlike some of the other fillers it tends not to shrink as it dries out. You can fill gaps in the matrix by grinding up some matrix and mixing it with watered down white glue or a vinac or pvc solution.

thanks , this was really informative. il will try this method ;) 

On 14/3/2017 at 1:47 PM, MatthewS.Paleofan said:

Oh wow, I had no Idea you could prepare the fossils that way, You must have a very skilled hand, If I tried to even Gently chisel a Trilobite Fossil, I'm sure it would fall to pieces, How did you outline it so good?

maybe i have a really steady hand, used to do tattoos years ago. 

On 14/3/2017 at 1:22 PM, Northern Sharks said:

For any restoration I use water based wood filler, which you can find in several colors so get one close to matching your bug. Fill up any marks, wait for it to dry, then do some sculpting with an exacto knife. Apply the wood filler in small amounts- you may need more than one layer to fill some spots. Once you have the shape blended to your liking, touch up the spots with water based paint and a fine brush. Everything is water based so that it is easily removable. Nice prep for a first-timer.

ok ;) i will keep this in mind . thanks :D