Is this petrified wood?

Rock Noob

Hi Folks, 

2nd post.  I came here to see if I could get a large fossil identified, but while I was taking pics I also snapped one of this weird, possible fossil that I suspect may be petrified wood.

Here it is, sorry for my poor camera ability:

This was found in some suburban greenspace area near Kansas City, MO.  It has a very strong "linearity" to it, as if it was once a section of log.

DSC01806.JPG.d2a7c900b5bda55a068be0199d3cc64f.JPG

It might be petrified wood, but I'd not be surpirsed to find out that it isn't.  For one, it has the linearity I mentioned, a definite orientation to the thing.  But the details of this "grain" ar not as defined as I've seen on confirmed petrified wood.  It is also suspiciously lightweight and soft, like sandstone, not very dense and hard as the other petrified wood I've seen. 

DSC01807.JPG.f12bf1c69360dabd2ae7d727f46bea11.JPG

I'm taking the chance someone can recognize it.

This last bonus item is not a fossil at all, definitely a shale-like rock, also found in KS, any one know what this is?

DSC01808.JPG.65c83a93c8e5df2290425ab36dab39ad.JPG

It is strongly stratified, grey, with bronze flecks in it.  The point you can see in the pic is of modern manufacture.

DSC01809.JPG.1eb9bb244c1f937e742983bdc93bd3c4.JPG

Thanks for looking!

10 minutes ago, Rock Noob said:

like sandstone

Not wood,  it is sandstone (with a suggestive shape).

12 minutes ago, Rock Noob said:

strongly stratified, grey, with bronze flecks in it.

Sounds like slate with iron pyrite.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Not wood,  it is sandstone (with a suggestive shape).

Sounds like slate with iron pyrite.

Yes, I agree.  I felt silly after posting, because I've seen enough petrified wood to know that this wasn't it.  I think it is sandstone from it's soft composition and light weight.  It is an interesting form, quite suggestive of wood!

And yes, sometimes there are simple answers- the description of "stratified grey rock" sure does sound like slate and I'm sure you're right.  My only hangup was that it is much more "sparkly" than most slate I see, but I realize that "slate" as a term encompasses many, many materials with many features.

Thanks for answering in both of my threads, you are very helpful.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

That first one has stone mason written all over it.

Heh Heh, that is certainly a possibility!

I had a pretty cool looking rock in an aquarium once, until I realized it was a piece of concrete. . . 

It looks like petrified wood just not good quality. Some pieces if they have been rolling around in the water along time they look like that some of Virginia's Triassic petrified wood looks like that in some of the creeks near were I live. but you should post more pictures for definite id especially on the grain texture.

14 minutes ago, Daleksec said:

It looks like petrified wood just not good quality. Some pieces if they have been rolling around in the water along time they look like that some of Virginia's Triassic petrified wood looks like that in some of the creeks near were I live. but you should post more pictures for definite id especially on the grain texture.

I will post some more pics for you, here in an hour or so when I get home.

I'd say that I believe ynot is correct, the giveaways for sandstone are the fact that it weighs and feels like sandstone, and is very soft.  It does have some straight lines that suggest grain, but I'm sure it's actually aresult of stratification and subsequent erosion.  The color and the greenish algae on it do serve to heighten the wood lillusion.

I am sure you're correct about river-tumbled wood fossils, but if you put this thing in a river it would dissolve or be bashed into sand pretty quickly.

I will, however, post some more pics so you can see the details of it better.

I must say, I really appreicate all the responses I've gotten, I had no idea this many people would look.  Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Rock Noob said:

weighs and feels like sandstone, and is very soft.

There are many minerals that can replace wood. The traits You reference are not necessarily indicative of a piece not being petrified wood.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.