My Colorado Trip

MatthewS.Paleofan

I had a great time in Colorado over the past weekend, got to see a lot of geological sights but my favorite part was going to this place by the mountains called the Garden of the Gods were there was all these lovely red rock formations and I was even able to get myself a really lovely red rock which is about 8 pounds and about the size of a flattened Milk gallon.  Along with that I found this old sun bleached peice of curly wood that was also orange, must have been at least a few years old. Don't worry I checked With the Park Ranger if I could keep them.

Also while I was visiting, since I did not bring any brushes or drainers I did not find any fossils though Fish, clams and ammunites are common there. I did however by a little 2 dollar assortment of those. Along with that the Garden of the God's sight is the home of the only partial skull of the "Theiophytalia kerri" A dinosaur described by Marsh himself. I found it out it was a single individual from a new genus of ornithopod that lived during the Aptian period of the cretaceous. 

I don't know about all you folk if this is the reason you love fossils but For me it's because I just like to Imagine what It would be like to live back in that time era, When Theiophytia roamed were Colorado springs would form. Not only that but at one point in time it may have been home to Acrocanthasaurus that would view it as pray. It may have also been home to Tenontosaurus and Gastonia. Maybe even a game trail at the point when the Garden of the Gods was once a thick with ferns and cycads that out looked out over an expanding in-land sea.

Basically what I am saying here is it was fun, It's very sad how many Brush fires are happening to the areas as I passed by it. It's the beginning and end of an era. And traveling through time to see what Geological and ecology presided and changed as the ages went on, It only leaves me to Wonder what the next step in the planets history will be. Perhaps a Second age of Dinosaurs or a perhaps Colorado will become a desert like most of Western America. No matter what happens, Life will adapt. 

8201639652_ebf9f6ed30_b.jpg

Great report! Thanks for posting!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for sharing!

You weren't too far from me!

Next time post a message and maybe we can meet up!