Charleston Oligocene 3/5

flyg

This is my first fossiling report. I got out Sunday and took advantage of the spring-like weather and the low water to do some paddling. It's still too cold for snorkeling (to my mind), though the water temps around here are historically warm for this time of year. I wore waders and searched on foot. I had a very quiet and relaxed 3-hour trip, with more paddling and drifting than collecting. I didn't come away with any stellar day-makers, but I had some fun finds. I couldn't resist picking up a few pieces of random large bone fragments and turtle material which is very abundant here. I collected a few worn whale/dolphin vertebrae, a couple of broken and worn hypurals, and a very worn Odontocete tooth. I found a small end of a turtle rib that pleased me. My favorite piece was a fairly worn shark centrum that turned out to actually be two articulated centra cemented together. I found a handful of non-big teeth, mostly worn and broken, but including a lovely 1.75-inch serrated magatooth, broken tip, with wee, tiny little cusplets. I'd be inclined to call it Angustidens, but if someone called it Chubutensis or "transitional" or similar, I'd be fine with that. It was a nice day, and the first real trip I've been on this year.

G

P3050035ed.jpg

P3050039ed.jpg

P3050048ed.jpg

P3050049ed.jpg

P3050052ed.jpg

P3050054ed.jpg

P3050055ed.jpg

Archived