March 9th, 2017 Peace River Trip

Sacha

I spent most of another day in a spot I've worked the last 4 or 5 times out, but had only moderate results this time. It's getting very hard to dig since the water is still cold, I'm wearing a 5 mil wetsuit and I'm up to my neck in the hole with not bottom showing yet. I wore an 18 pound weight belt for much of the day to keep me on the bottom and give me some leverage with the shovel. It's very tiring, but I really like the spot because the gravel is big and there is tons of bone mixed in......just not much in good shape......yet. Anyway, with guests coming next week for a little trip, I wanted to find a couple alternate spots to try, since the goal of all of our visitors is to find a nice meg. I stopped in a spot that gets lots of pressure and dropped in a hole that looked promising. The megs just started coming hand over fist. Nothing pristine, but 4 that are pretty darn nice with lots of other give away quality teeth. Hope I can do this again of next Friday when guests arrive. We tried an area very close to this one for an episode of "Fossil Hunters" and nobody in the group found anything other than fragments. It's just luck of the draw......and persistence. Here's the take for yesterday.

DSCF1342.thumb.jpg.611822cb369f2b4e3c1240e5d8004db2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

You did great......I wish I knew a spot that I caught find so many Meg's in one day.......:)

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I'll say it again, John moves more gravel than a dozer when he goes out!

great finds, love all those hemis as well! and a nice horse tooth!

I know the feeling John. Some days I go out and can not be beat, Next time out with newbees depending on me, I can not find my foot, congrats on a really good day. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great haul John, some sweet Megs you got there :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Brrrr...Up to your neck in cold water in a 5mm wetsuit? Sounds more like my last couple of dive sites rather than fossil hunting in the Peace. That being said, the last time we were out hunting together I remember freezing my tail off with a 3mm suit AND a wind-breaker over the top to try to cut down on the evaporative cooling from that stiff wind from the north.

Looks like you got into another nice section of the river peppered with megs (for those who work hard enough to find them). Still on the hunt for a new mammal site?

Sitting out on my balcony overlooking Waikiki Beach at the moment. The only fossils I've seen here were playing with their little paper umbrellas from their Bloody Marys at the breakfast buffet. :P

Entering another period of back-to-back travel and I'm not sure I'll make it back to the Peace River before wetsuits will no longer be a necessity. In the meantime I'm enjoying the heck out of watching you and Jack hunt and post your finds here. Vicarious fossil hunting is better than none at all.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I know the feeling John. Some days I go out and can not be beat, Next time out with newbees depending on me, I can not find my foot, congrats on a really good day. Jack

I was thinking of the discussion we were having about the average number of hunting hours required to find a "pristine" meg. I don't really want to think about how many digging hours it takes me. Even the number of driving hours would make some people initiate the commitment process for me.

I'll be back at it Monday if the rain forecast gets a little better.

17 hours ago, Sacha said:

I'll be back at it Monday if the rain forecast gets a little better.

I am currently in Vermont. With wind chill, it is 18 degrees. winter_smilies_0012.gif.378f493ba49eee26cf381efd033bdaaa.gif  How do my siblings sanely survive here? I will NOT be seeing you on the river Monday, but Tuesday is a possibility!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Brrrr! It's not even that cold in the mini-fridge in my hotel room here in Waikiki (Ouah). :D

Think of how warm the Peace River will feel on the backside of that trip.

Stay warm and don't catch a cold.

Cheers.

-Ken

Very "cool" finds indeed, John. Good luck on your next excursion.:meganim:  

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice finds John-glad to see you are getting out and its neat to see photos ! Not been in the water much this year here--all kinds of other stuff going on. I did manage to get in a creek a several weeks ago and did get a shaking chill for about 30 minutes cause I was in the shade and water mid-torso...warm sun resolved that quickly.

Keep after em!

Regards, Chris