Is This a Real Petrified Mushroom?

Zach

I found this about 10 years back.  In my little bit of research I found that petrified/fossilized mushrooms are very rare and mine is most likely fake.  Where did it come from if it is not real?  I am convinced that it was not machined out because of the large cavity inside and such a small hole in the stem area.  Could this be casted?  Can anyone explain what this is or if its real/fake?  Thanks!

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

Edited by Zach
more descriptive title

Looks like a porcelain cast to Me.

They poor a porcelain slip into a mold and after some has set they remove the extra and then fire it in a kiln.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Fossil mushrooms are preserved in amber(I think two documented occasions(Poinar)).

If anything,it might be a coeloptychiid poriferan,like Rockwood says/supposes

edit: and manmade is of course a real possibility,but i suck at recognizing fakery/artifactual "fossils"

I'm of similar mind to ynot, looks manmade.  If there is any translucency or if the chips are completely smooth and non-porous I would say porcelain, if it's more matte white and rough or porous I would say ceramic or maybe even pressed chalk

I'll go along with Tony. I've never seen a sponge with a uniformly hollowed out cavity like that. Normally they would have roots at the bottom.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I found it in our vegetable garden.  Every year we would get several truck loads of compost and find all kinds of weird things (toys, garbage, electronics).  I have no idea how this got in there or where it would have come from.

9 minutes ago, Zach said:

I found it in our vegetable garden.  Every year we would get several truck loads of compost and find all kinds of weird things (toys, garbage, electronics).  I have no idea how this got in there or where it would have come from.

That explains it...a lot of people put decorative mushrooms in their gardens.

• I found this Informative 2

I'm in the ceramic camp, as well. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Looks right. I think we have one on here too.

You mean in this post? Definitely not. I have some of these in my collection and there's no comparison whatsoever.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That's a pretty nice mushroom artifact, in my opinion. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

45 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

You mean in this post?

Definitely not.

In fact it occurred to me that I did sort of 'pull a presidential' there. Real close to taking both sides on the issue in the same thread. 

#SAD