Help with an Id

Bobby Rico

Hi all I hope I do not wear out my welcome by keep posting so many questions .

Found this years ago in a time before I got hooked on fossil collecting .I think it was in the Brecon Beacons . Is it is part of a trilobite.... or that is really what I was hoping. Thanks to everyone who posted on my last question really all enjoyed all your reposones . Bobby 

IMG_0322.JPG

The Brecon Beacons are paleozoic, so that would eliminate crabs, although it certainly does look like a carapace at first glance. What we need here is a trilobite expert, I think.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'm afraid this is not a trilobite, but i'm also afraid i'm not a trilobite expert, so i'm afraid you'll have to wait for the opinion of @FossilDAWG and @piranha. I'm afraid.:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

A limule, maybe (horseshoe crab) ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone 

l was hoping there is a trilobite expert on line . I still think but I don't know why this looks like part of trilobite to me. As Ludwigia said "

The Brecon Beacons are paleozoic, so that would eliminate crabs," sorry for asking again and making this might be a bit boring. Thank you all for the help. Bobby 

" The principal types of mineralisation in South Wales are (Bevins and Mason 2000): millerite-bearing ironstones of the coalfield; oxide-facies iron; iron-manganese; cavity infill in limestones; Mississippi Valley Type (MVT) lead-zinc-barium-fluorine; wavellite in Carboniferous rocks; late iron sulphide veins; evaporites; supergene Pb-Zn-(Cu) alteration.
Minerals in the coalfield are found notably within the clay-ironstone nodules widespread in the Westphalian (Upper Carboniferous) Coal Measures. These clay-ironstone nodules often show internal diagenetic “septarian” cavities lined with siderite. In addition they may contain ankerite and small amounts of other minerals (some rare), often as attractive and well-formed crystals, in varying amounts and distribution. These minerals include quartz (“Merthyr diamonds”), calcite, baryte, dickite, carbonate-fluorapatite, hydrocarbons (hattchettite and others), and sulphides including sphalerite, galena, chalcopyrite, pyrite, marcasite, millerite, more rarely siegenite, also alteration products. " - as stated here .

I'll go with a nodule with septarian propagation cracks. here

• I found this Informative 7

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

There could be 150 MY difference between them.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You are right of course but I think it is more like a fossil and  not so much like a septarain nodule. And trilobite are found at the Brecon Beacons I think too. But thank you for your help you maybe right . Bobby

You might be right to see a trilobite here. But be careful, because when one sees in something the thing he wants to have he persuades himself to have it and have a tendency not to hear the arguments of people that don't see the same thing.

I don't say that you have no trilobite here, but i do see the cracks @abyssunder speaks about. I also see that some of those cracks persist on the matrix.

According to me there is nothing that shows for sure this is a fossil of trilobite. You should try to desengage a bit of it to see if there is something that would help for its identification ?

But maybe @LordTrilobite would have an idea about this and tell us if he sees a trilobite here or no ?

In memory of Doren

If this is from the Brecon Beacons we can be sure that it is not Bumastus. Most of the Beacons are Carboniferous. I would guess it is geological, but I am not 100%

There are Silurian rocks near Llandovery (Llandovery Epoch). I also suggest the piece needs some work to expose a bit more of the edges.

Thank everyone for the more than great info . You all have been a really great help. I have been collecting fossil and minerals for more than 28years but never been good at identifying specific species but this really looks like a fossil . Also I may  have mixed up my location info on this specimen when I got bungled .  Thank again this is a great site to be a part of. Bobby

• I found this Informative 1

Sorrry for that burgle, it's not something i would like to be victim of.

In memory of Doren

Please it was a long time ago and I really do not think much about it  now  . I was just trying to work out why it is not got my numbering  system on it . Thank you for all your info very interesting. Bobby 

16 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

But maybe @LordTrilobite would have an idea about this and tell us if he sees a trilobite here or no ?

It seems to have some suggestive shapes. But I don't really see a trilobite here. I'm not a trilobite expert either though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 6 months later...

Hi  everyone I am really sorry I made an location mixed up with this ID. :blink: been really dyslexic and had a mix up with the lables years ago. I got the number back to front in my location note book.  The real location is Ayrshire Scotland. It  was over 20 years ago I pencilled an Id at the time as  Stenopareia trilobite but I can't find any info on that trilobite specimens  now. If this post is not too old and anybody has any ideas please let me know. Thanks Bobby 

IMG_0850.JPG