Where can I fossil hunt without getting in trouble?

acrocanthosaurus

I live here in Iowa which is rich in devonian fossils. I have all the gear and I know how to properly clean fossils. The only problem is finding a place that I can look for fossils. I've tried getting access to some limestone and shale quarries but nobody wants me there because I'm considered a liability. Any suggestions on what I should do?

One thing you might give serious consideration to is joining a local fossil/rock clubs in your area.  The Mid-America Paleontology Society (MAPS) frequently meets at the University of Iowa in Iowa City.  There may be other local groups in your area.  If you are a minor (as suggested by your 'Youth Member' status on The Fossil Forum), you may have more success at local quarries if you are accompanied by an adult relative who can sign a Liability Waiver for you if the quarry operators require one.  A phone call to the quarry in advance might save a lot of wasted time.

There may be a few abandoned quarries on private property that will permit you access (again...a little research and a phone call to the property owner in advance would be a smart idea).  Just make sure that you get permission before trespassing on private property.  I don't know what Iowa laws are concerning fossil/rock collecting on road cuts are, but a call to your local department of motor vehicles might help you clear things up.  Rock exposures along road cuts can be very productive if they cut through the right sediments.

Just a couple of suggestions!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Joining a club is a good idea. You may get access to other sites that won't allow individuals to hunt.

The other thing to do is research!  

Start with this website, (keeping in mind the information is very old, and likely no longer accurate- sites might be gone, built or grown over, etc.) and investigate the names of the formations listed. Read anything you can about the fossils, formations, and stratigraphy of the area. 

Then, you need to pay your dues, by going out and investigating road cuts, stream beds, construction sites, gorges, and ravines.
Use Google Earth/Google Maps, ... to do some recon from above, to find likely spots to look.

You may want to carry a waiver of liability for the times you might find spots on private property.

Ask permission before crossing fences or entering property you don't know the owner of.

Fossil hunting is one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it. It can be a lot of hard work, but it can be rewarding in the end, when you have a site that produces fossils. 

Good luck. Remember, Google is your friend. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You might also want to check out my Pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  Here's a LINK.  Just scroll down to the section for Iowa to see the links to the articles.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

You may want to check out this site:  

Floyd County Conservation

Welcome to the Fossil & Prairie Park Preserve

Upcoming events. . .

Fall edition of the "The Conservationist" newsletter

Fossil & Prairie Park

Contact Us!

Fossil & Prairie Center
1227 215th Street
P.O. Box 495
Rockford, Iowa 50468

Phone 641-756-3490
Email

Center

Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Call ahead . . . hours may vary due to projects/work schedule

Building Hours:
Fossil & Prairie Center is OPEN WEEKENDS till the end of October from 1 -4 p.m.

Outdoor Areas are OPEN from Sunrise to Sunset.

1227 215th Street, P.O Box 495, Rockford Iowa 50468
641-756-3490 fpcenter@myomnitel.com

• I found this Informative 2

21 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

You might also want to check out my Pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  Here's a LINK.  Just scroll down to the section for Iowa to see the links to the articles.

-Joe

Yeah, Google usually brings me there, anyway. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...

Or if possible, take this lazy man's way and find a watercourse that cuts through the sought after stratigraphy and ply yourself via tube, kayak, or canoe.

Let nature cut through the detritus of ages for you.  Eezy peezy.