possible late proterozic fossils

davidsaroff

I've found fossil imprints in rocks near my cottage south west of Charlottesville, Virginia.

The land is eroded, exposing a contact that appears on the Virginia state geologic maps at
 https://www.dmme.virginia.gov/webmaps/DGMR/
 Protererozoic is in light green on the left, Cambrian is in purple on the right.

The imprint bearing rocks appear to be from the Proterozic Z meta-argillite sandstone. They were found about 400 feet from the contact. There the land  slopes downhill towards the north-west. The rocks were unearthed while digging drainage ditches to protect a neighbor's cottage. Below a few inches of topsoil, the ground is weathered rocks of mixed sizes in a loose powder, all of the of the same uniform redish color. The rocks are easy to break. The strength and appearance is of soft fired pottery clay. The rocks were dumped by a grounds keeper digging the ditches, so I don't know exactly at what depth they were originally. It was less than four feet.

The attachment is half an hour's collecting from the diggings dump. If they are of interest, and you are a university based invertebrate paleontologist, I would like to send you your choice at your university address. Perhaps one of your students would like to saw or fracture them. I won't expect any back, but I would like to hear about and see pictures of what is found. All were cleaned under running well water, with a soft hair brush.

BTW, I'm an Astrophysics graduate student studying the Andromeda/M31 galaxy using the Green Bank radio telescope. The attached picture is of visiting school children and the telescope, which is about a kilometer beyond the children.

cleardot.gif

several1.JPG

location.JPG

GBT.JPG

Welcome to the forum From New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome to TFF ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library