Worm tubes?

MSirmon

Found this curiously textured Rick yesterday. Upon cleaning it noticed some interesting items embedded in the side of it. Also curious what causes the texture on this type rock. Are they work tubes? Could the white item coming out of the rock be a worm? Found north of Crosbyton, TX.

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

Possibly, or more likely burrows. I can't tell what all the little creatures are in there. Maybe cephalopods or even coprolites. Closer views of each might help. @mikecable? Anything like this out your way?

• I found this Informative 1

I think it is a hash plate that is mostly composed of crinoid and bryozoan with a ew other things in it.

Your "white worm" looks like a weathered crinoid stalk.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The composition of the shape in the lower photos definitely says crinoid something. 

I agree with Bob's ideas on the upper ones.

I was hoping someone with way more knowledge than me would definitively know what the ichy looking things on the surface are. It is definitely an intriguing piece. I'm with Bob, to me they do look like some type of burrow or perhaps the whole thing is an internal cast of something. I have seen a lot of interesting sponge posts lately...something I know nothing about. Could the whole thing be some sort of internal cast of a sponge of some sort? Perhaps the little steinkern looking things are from mollusks that fed on it after it died and then were trapped? Just pondering out loud (or should I say in writing) :)

Any chance you have a microscope, and we can get some microscopic images of some of the features? Definitely interesting, what ever this is!

WeirdThing.JPG

I bet it is, a sinistrally coiled planispiral gastropod.

Unless those faint shapes inside are septa ? 

3 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I was hoping someone with way more knowledge than me would definitively know what the ichy looking things on the surface are. It is definitely an intriguing piece. I'm with Bob, to me they do look like some type of burrow or perhaps the whole thing is an internal cast of something. I have seen a lot of interesting sponge posts lately...something I know nothing about. Could the whole thing be some sort of internal cast of a sponge of some sort? Perhaps the little steinkern looking things are from mollusks that fed on it after it died and then were trapped? Just pondering out loud (or should I say in writing) :)

Any chance you have a microscope, and we can get some microscopic images of some of the features? Definitely interesting, what ever this is!

WeirdThing.JPG

Lori,

Unfortunately no microscope handy but am definitely open to suggestions. Up until now I have been privately referring to it as the potato but like your phrase and may start calling it "The Itchy Potato".

Michael

23 minutes ago, MSirmon said:

Lori,

Unfortunately no microscope handy but am definitely open to suggestions. Up until now I have been privately referring to it as the potato but like your phrase and may start calling it "The Itchy Potato".

Michael

:) That would be ichy (as in ichnofossil).

Maybe there's a differential weathering on a geodised specimen containing cronoid fragments and other 'things'. I think, the lamellar ones protruding the matrix are purely geological crystall walls formed through diagenesis, but I could be wrong.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library