salvo1989s

hi, i bought this big ammonite to prepare, a megalytoceras maybe, any suggestions? i dont want to ruin it. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

22 minutes ago, salvo1989s said:

i have another question, what are this things ? 

Neat finds. :) 

Those look like the sutures that are present between each section of the ammonite. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Crann. It looks pretty beat up and it looks like just the inner whorls are preserved on the side you're showing in the 2nd photo. I'm not at all sure if you'll get a complete ammonite out of that, but I guess it's worth a try peeling the layers down bit by bit. It looks like it could be a Lytoceras at any rate.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

13 hours ago, jpc said:

It took me a while to see a fossil.  I saw a picture of a cleverly hidden can of beer.  

ahaahahahaahhahaha :P 

12 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree with Crann. It looks pretty beat up and it looks like just the inner whorls are preserved on the side you're showing in the 2nd photo. I'm not at all sure if you'll get a complete ammonite out of that, but I guess it's worth a try peeling the layers down bit by bit. It looks like it could be a Lytoceras at any rate.

i will try =)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure there is anything needing to be removed other than maybe that chunk of matrix on the right side in pic 3. If you're seeing sutures, it is already missing the outer shell, meaning nature has already gone too far with her own prep job... know what I mean?

Is that a smaller ammonite in that chunk a matrix in pic #2?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Is that a smaller ammonite in that chunk a matrix in pic #2?

yep and i prepared it 

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

28 minutes ago, salvo1989s said:

yep and i prepared it 

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Awesome! Looks like you did a good job!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

:dinothumb::ammonite01:

you did a great job salvaging that piece.

How did you do it?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

If you have a bit of matrix left over, I would suggest mixing up some crushed matrix with glue and filling the hole in the umbilicus. That will make this nice ammonite display better. I've had to do it many times after inadvertently punching through when learning to prep ammonites.

22 hours ago, salvo1989s said:

yep and i prepared it 

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

I was eying that the whole time and figuring that was the most promising thing I could see. Nice job. I'd also take up Kris on his suggestion. I also end up having to do that with a few of my prep jobs.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Good job! I assume it is just wet for the photo, or did you coat it with something?

Archived