Gilboa area hunt 3/12/17

Dsailor

So I went out to the Gilboa area yesterday and found some stuff. I looked along the creek and then to another spot I found near Conesville NY on a part of the watershed. The main issues with these type of rocks is that they split in weird ways and it is tough at first to figure what rocks are holding fossils. That being said, some of the best specimens I have found gave no hints they held fossils at all. One of the tricky parts is learning to id really weathered fossils while walking around and then looking for naturally created stress fractures in them. The new spot I found was really productive compared to where I was going in Gilboa. I left a ton of fossils where I found them because they were mostly plant hash or not really identifiable. So here is some of what I took home.

this large curved branching piece that is half weathered:

DSC_0520.JPG

This one is probably my favorite. Looks like a root and I have not seen that kind of 3 dimensionality in this area

DSC_0516.JPG

Nice finds again!

The roots could be burrows, I've found similar things in the Purslane Formation.

Congratulations. Really nice finds. I especially like the two Haskinsia branch pieces- really cool detail on those. Most Devonian plants I've seen here in New York lack definable features.

Glad to see you were able to get out sunday and score some good stuff. Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thank you, the Haskinsia had me stumped. I poked around the internet last night for about two hours till I figured that the pattern was so distinctive that someone here had to recognize it and then Piranha had it really quick on fossil ID. It was a good trip. I figured I had to get out before the foot of snow comes tomorrow.

Dom