Gomphonthere or Mastodon?

PalaeoArt

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little help identifying a tooth I purchased at a recent Florida fossil show. It was labelled Mastodon but I was wondering if it might be Gomphothere? It was found in one of the rivers in Florida I understand which means it could have been either as I understand it. Couldn't find an easy identifier online. 

Thanks in advance

Tom

IMG_0494.PNG

Cuvieronius hyodon  or Rhynchotherium. This very good document might help.

Cuvieronius.thumb.jpg.2655c08d4e7fd6c7966e98e4912692f5.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

13 hours ago, Seve78 said:

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little help identifying a tooth I purchased at a recent Florida fossil show. It was labelled Mastodon but I was wondering if it might be Gomphothere? It was found in one of the rivers in Florida I understand which means it could have been either as I understand it. Couldn't find an easy identifier online. 

Thanks in advance

Tom

That is a GREAT Gomph tooth Tom, After 10 years of intensively hunting the Peace River,  this is the largest piece of Gomph tooth I have ever found.. A fantastic addition to any collection.IMG_0788gomph.thumb.JPG.376715984c13e021954212a3171934af.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 3/14/2017 at 9:06 AM, Shellseeker said:

That is a GREAT Gomph tooth Tom, After 10 years of intensively hunting the Peace River,  this is the largest piece of Gomph tooth I have ever found.. A fantastic addition to any collection.IMG_0788gomph.thumb.JPG.376715984c13e021954212a3171934af.JPG

I found 4 small bits, but sadly nothing big. Lucky me I found a big mammoth piece recently though

3 hours ago, Fishconner10 said:

I found 4 small bits, but sadly nothing big. Lucky me I found a big mammoth piece recently though

The Peace River is predominately Pleistocene (Mammoth, Mastodon, Dire Wolf, Jaguar, Llama/Camel, etc). Occasionally, I find an isolated Miocene-Pliocene fossil, and for about a year, I was in glory because I knew of a Pliocene site!!! small horses, whale including baleen, Makos and Great Whites, SaberCat and Gomph.. including the piece in the photo above.  I was really living the dream!! 

There must be other similar locations out there... In the meantime, I am enjoying my time on the Peace River hunting fossils.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 3/16/2017 at 2:44 PM, Shellseeker said:

The Peace River is predominately Pleistocene (Mammoth, Mastodon, Dire Wolf, Jaguar, Llama/Camel, etc). Occasionally, I find an isolated Miocene-Pliocene fossil, and for about a year, I was in glory because I knew of a Pliocene site!!! small horses, whale including baleen, Makos and Great Whites, SaberCat and Gomph.. including the piece in the photo above.  I was really living the dream!! 

There must be other similar locations out there... In the meantime, I am enjoying my time on the Peace River hunting fossils.

I found a mako and have seen others find small horse bits and dire wolf teeth, but all ended up being isolated with no other Pliocene fossils