Just wondering what this is.

Cotherman

I know pretty much nothing about prehistoric little beasties. Family has land south of Glen Rose Tx that is COVERED in fossils.  I found this and was wondering if anyone could help identify it. The graph paper large squares are 1 cm2

20170313_184027.jpg

I'm no expert but,,,,I think its some type of fan coral.....I'm sure someone here will be able to ID this for you.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I'm pretty sure you are looking at the cross section of a rudist.  They were strange looking colonial bivalves that formed reefs — some of which are part of the Edwards formation found south of Glen Rose, TX. 

• I found this Informative 11

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Those photos gave me PTSD; I hope that I can get to sleep tonight.

You psychologists should write things out full instead of forcing the rest of us to google :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

No doubt, there is a longitudinal section of a radiolitid rudist lower valve.
My guess would be Eoradiolites sp.

Here is an example :

20170313_184027.jpg.1562411e27cb830d68c823e8238a2a4e.thumb.jpg.f9ef37c6ff4a64641b193a42a74c8420.jpgRadiolites.thumb.jpg.a3ad66f62bb8be97fca0dd5754940f34.jpg

Eoradiolites jumillensis n. sp.
Longitudinal section (AV-PD) of a paratype specimen (10940-2) showing the abrupt modification (arrows) from deflected to oblique growth plates and the flattened LV bearing the posterior myophoral plate and extending to the shell edge of the RV (G1, G2)

reference: J. P. Masse. 2007. Late Aptian-Albian primitive Radiolitidae (bivalves, hippuritoidea) from Spain and SW France. Cretaceous Research 28(5):697-718

• I found this Informative 7

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This is a great specimen because it is helping me to finally get a better idea of the morphology of these odd creatures. People often identify fossils as rudist that can have some very different looks and all look very different from typical clams. Thanks for the examples abyssunder.

2 hours ago, BobWill said:

This is a great specimen because it is helping me to finally get a better idea of the morphology of these odd creatures. People often identify fossils as rudist that can have some very different looks and all look very different from typical clams. Thanks for the examples abyssunder.

Can you (anyone) suggest a school or museum that might be interested in having it as a donation?

56 minutes ago, Dsailor said:

That is the scariest looking fossil I have ever seen :). Have you tried to see how it reacts with fire? :)

Yeah, right... ! :hearty-laugh:

14 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

You psychologists should write things out full instead of forcing the rest of us to google :P

Mea felix culpa.  My friend.

23 hours ago, njfossilhunter said:

I'm no expert but,,,,I think its some type of fan coral.....I'm sure someone here will be able to ID this for you.

That was my immediate impression, also expert I am not!

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Ego autem semper accipio excusationem. :)

I knew what PTSD meant, but no idea what this means! (something about excusing/excuse)

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

I knew what PTSD meant, but no idea what this means! (something about excusing/excuse)

Google has the answer. I'm just trying hard to be ironic here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

"Ego autem semper accipio excusationem."

"I will always accept an excuse." 

;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Rudists..... we find them on our farm on Comanche Peak.....Edwards formation at the top of the peak.....

Thanks for your help in advance.