2 green river fish ID help needed

Dsailor

Hi, I bought the first fish and they said it was an Eohiodon but I do not know enough about Green River fish to tell for sure. The second I bought unprepped with only the half backbone sticking out. After prep, I think it is a Knightia but am not sure. It looks like it's head exploded a bit due to gases and such. Thanks for any help.

DomDSC_0522.thumb.JPG.4699bc6b3ad0e735b777005ab9f1e314.JPG

27 minutes ago, Dsailor said:

Hi, I bought the first fish and they said it was an Eohiodon but I do not know enough about Green River fish to tell for sure. The second I bought unprepped with only the half backbone sticking out. After prep, I think it is a Knightia but am not sure. It looks like it's head exploded a bit due to gases and such. Thanks for any help.

Eohiodon should display some fairly robust teeth. I can't see from the photo if they are evident or not. 

The prep on the disarticulated fellow is very nice. I think it displays well.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Eohiodon should display some fairly robust teeth. I can't see from the photo if they are evident or not. 

The prep on the disarticulated fellow is very nice. I think it displays well.

Thank you, as my first fish prep he turned out well despite confusing the snarge out of me with his lack of some fins. :)

Your first fish is a Knightia eocaena.

Eohiodon is a much deeper bodied fish, with the dorsal and anal fins much closer together than in Knightia.

The dorsal fin is also set back further along the spine in Eohiodon.

Eohiodon has a more robust skull, with prominent,  noticeable teeth, and a wider fork to the caudal fin.

Comparison: 

Your fish (Knightia) on the top. 

Eohiodon on the bottom.

DSC_0522.thumb.JPG-vert.jpg

Credit to Oilshale for the Eohiodon falcata picture.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

In the first 10th of a second I thought 'knightia'.   Probably cause ive prepped out about 30 million of them. 

RB

Here's a drawing of Eohiodon falcatus :

58c823ece2e5f_PALEONTOLOGYOFTHEGREENRIVERFORMATIONWITHAREVIEWOFTHEFISHFAUNA-LanceGrande.thumb.jpg.bcee563f2578ae5e3c24d05a7b0337c9.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Here's a drawing of Eohiodon falcatus :

58c823ece2e5f_PALEONTOLOGYOFTHEGREENRIVERFORMATIONWITHAREVIEWOFTHEFISHFAUNA-LanceGrande.thumb.jpg.bcee563f2578ae5e3c24d05a7b0337c9.jpg

Thanks, that makes it easy to see

Archived