Fossilized shell help?

Lukel1988

Hello, can someone help me ID this? Me and my work friends have had a heated debate over this. I think this is a petrified shell and they say I am wrong and that it is obviously just a shell. Please can someone confirm whether this is a fossil?

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Where was this found?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is an oyster

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It is an oyster...Scientific name is Gryphaea arcuata...Lower Jurassic bivalve. I found similar up near Speeton on the Yorkshire coast about twenty years ago.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm currently working on a gas site and found this in the gravel, I guess off the sea bed. There are many of these, along with what appears to be petrified wood.

Just now, Lukel1988 said:

Thanks for your help guys, I'm currently working on a gas site and found this in the gravel, I guess off the sea bed. There are many of these, along with what appears to be petrified wood.

Where are You working?

There are gas sites all over the world.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

One could say Peterborough is a little far from the Yorkshire coast, but *this document confirms the existence of Gryphaea in the Peterborough region. So, I agree with WATERLINE, that the specimen in question is a Gryphaea  fossil oyster. Nice one, BTW! :)

" Graphic sections.
Figure 3 is a log of the section based on examination of the beds in situ; key beds are indicated on the photograph (Fig. 2). Figure 4 includes a log of the condensed lower beds. The equivalents of these beds have yielded most of the large vertebrate fossils recorded from the Peterborough district (Martill 1985, 1986) and are characterized by shell beds with abundant Gryphaea dilobotes Duff; we refer to them informally as the ‘Gryphaea and Reptile Beds’. " (...) - as stated in * Hudson-Martill, 1994

Also, here is a mentioned...

" They are all obviously Gryphaea species but seem to vary between the shape of G. arcuata and G. dilobotes. They may, of course, just be variations within a single species. "

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, Lukel1988 said:

This is what we found in about 20mins. Are the two long ones petrified wood?

They look more like Belemnites to me.  

Neat finds. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, they could be that.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived